Our Beagle World Forums banner

Darwin: How to cope with Paddy's passing?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Murphys Dad 
#1 ·
Dardog is suffering more than the others.

He is not lethargic, his appetite is normal, but his busy busy busy agenda doesn't exist. He just isn't his usual self. :-(

He spends his time finding Paddy's special napping places and hugging into them. We won't launder one special Paddy blanket yet because it seems to bring Darwin comfort.

His daily routine is so dispirited now and he's not really given to cuddles or coddling, so we haven't that to offer him.

We are letting him find his own road at the moment, with as many soothing words as we can find to say to him. (NO WORDS WITH "PADDY" IN THEM!)

From time to time he rallies, but no zooooomies. He just seems so... lost.

It is heartbreaking. I feel he will come out of this funk but is there anything we can do to help him along?

Poor little tyke. He misses his Paddy so.

See less See more
#8 ·
I must have missed the post of Paddy's passing, and it breaks my heart to read of Darwin's depression /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
I wish I had advice to offer, but I too believe that time is the great healer. Meantime, please know how sorry I am for your loss.

#10 ·
My neighbor's dog mourned for quite a while when she lost her companion. We would take Maggie over and instead of their usual game of chase, Lacey would greet her and go back to lay in the living room. My neighbors gave her lots of extra attention, started taking her in the car when they went out and lots of long walks. It took a while but she eventually came back to her old self.

#11 ·
When Lilly died Rosa was the same as Darwin. Like Louise suggested I got her a special toy. It was just a stuffed squeeky furry dog that I named Fred. She took Fred EVERYWHERE with her and slept with him every night. He gave her comfort at times when I couldn't be there and he was also a distraction. When she seemed at a loss as to what to do I'd just say "go find Fred" and she go and look for him and we would have a little play.

That was 2 years ago and Fred is still her favourite toy and the only one she hasn't ripped up.

Dardog will come around with time. It took Rosa a few months to spring back to her old self but as she was the only dog left it took longer than one would imagine. I realised she needed a canine buddy so got Sherry and she's been fine ever since...unlike me.

#12 ·
I didn't realize dear Paddy had passed either. So sorry to hear that. I enjoyed seeing pictures of him.

Poor Darwin. How long ago did Paddy pass? I don't have any ideas as we have 2 now that are the same age. I dread anything happening to either one because I know the one left will mourn.

My only suggestion would be to keep him happy and do things that he enjoys doing. Maybe later you could add another doggie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.