Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be preaching to the converted but did you know that grapes can be seriously harmful to your dog? I found this out to my cost and Poor Oscars great discomfort when he was younger. Vets don't know the exact cause but believe it is to do with an enzime in the grape skin that can, in worst case senario, cause renal failure. I thought it wise to pass on this info as when I told my own sister-in-law she was shocked as she used to throw her labrador the odd grape when she was munching on some.

For the full story of Oscar's mishap click on the link to my blog in my signature and go to older posts for the imfamous grape incident. Hope this prevents another dog (and owner) going through what Oscar did. Jan x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
Yes you are correct.
Always good to remind people of food dangers for our precious pups!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
Yes,, and since raisins are dried up grapes, they are a no no too. Onions are bad, chocolate is bad, and many plants are bad.

We usually just give out bananas, apples, pears, and various vegetables as treats. During the summer, watermellon is a big treat. Whenever we pull out a watermellon, Tucker eyes just light up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
NO grapes....and they were our first beagles favorite food. We were so young and naive beagle parents then. He did alright, but I often think that was only by the grace of God.

Does anyone know any other fruits or vegetables that aren't good for them. We've been trying to change from the "cookie" treats to carrots and green beans....but even they get boring to the boys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
The ASPCA (aspca.org under the subheading: Animal Poison Control) has an extensive list of foods, household items, and plants that you can click on an it tells you whether or not you have to worry about them with your dog (if its harmful, what it may do to your dog, etc.). It is worth checking out and very informative.

I had to call them once when Roscoe ate part of an odor eater from my hubby's work boot! They were excellent and even followed up to make sure he was ok!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
It's not a fruit/veggie, but the ingredient xylitol is extremely poisonous to dogs. It can be found in some sugar free items, such as candies and gums, as well as certain toothpastes (people kinds). You can look up the side effects, etc. online.

Our guys have gotten into cough drops and gum, both sugar free, but we were fortunate that neither contained xylitol. I've gotten to the point where I don't even keep any gum in the house that has it. And I've also checked our toothpastes, etc. Our two always manage to find a way to get into stuff.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top