Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone probably knows that chocolate is bad for dogs and in the the right amount could even kill but have you ever heard that Raisins and Macadavia (sp) nuts can also cause serious health risks? I didn't. They reported it today on Good Morning America during a report on mad cow.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
When we went to Crufts last year we were telling a breeder that Barney loves grapes and she said we should stop letting him have them immediately as thay are harmful. He still does love fruit (odd really) but all he gets now is the odd apple core. Our dogs love raw carrots, the vet has said these are ok and are a great replacement for bones and healthy too.

Are salted peanuts harmful? Barney loves these too.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
A beag will eat ANYTHING that they see you eat with very few exeptions! But you mentioned apple cores, well the seeds like apricot seeds contain "cyanide" and that is not a good thing! Fortunatly the list of avoidable foods & spices are short! Acidic nuts like brazil nuts walnuts & Almonds can pose a risk and chockolit is a no-no or onions are too acidic for them! Anything that has "caustic" features should be avoided or used in moderation like garlic that keeps the bad cholesterol down & works as a natural flavour enhancer! Dang it, now Im getting hungry! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Do'h! I knew I would forget a thing or 2! Also do not let them eat a bay leaf, even as part of a "leftover" meal! And even though jalapenos are a great source of vitamin C don't toss one or even a miniscule part of one as I did with Goober when he was a pup! It has been over 10 yrs since I did that and if he is not sure what it is he will pretend to catch it but will let it land on the floor to inspect it first! I take pride in my chef's/sou's talents but Goob's will never forgive me for my prank!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our vet recomended peanutbutter for pill feeding, so I'm sure the salted peanuts are fine for him. She didn't mention low salt or low fat peanutbutter or anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts