Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocky seems to have quite a lot of dandruff, and it's especially obvious when he's been petted a lot. Given that he's all black, it's really obvious!

Any ideas on what to do to make it better/go away? (He's 12 weeks tomorrow)

·
Registered
847 Posts
We had a lot of dandruff with Bodie when he was a young pup. I think it was because we were bathing him a little too often. We then started doing it once a week and the dandruff went away.

·
Registered
400 Posts
One remedy that has been thrown around on this messageboard is a bit of olive oil with your pup's kibble. I forget what the exact recommendation was, but I want to say a teaspoon.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My Daisy gets dandruff really bad depending on what food she is eating. She is not on an A+ food right now but the kind she is on gives her a shiny coat and no dandruff. She was on a top quality food but had really bad skin so food is the only direct link for us.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Rocky hasn't been bathed for about 3-4 weeks, so that's not it....I will see what I can find out about olive oil. If it helps, I always have it in the house!

Thanks guys!

Anyone else?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It is usually the Omega-3 fatty oils in food (and olive oil) that give our pups their shiny coats. You might check the food you are feeding to make sure it is has sufficient Omega-3 in it (you could check with your vet as to what is a good amount of Omega-3 for Rocky). If he is not getting enough and you want to stick with the food he is on, you can add an Omega-3 supplement (bought on-line, not from your vet where it will be more expensive unless he/she will match the on-line price). I used to get one for Maggie from Drs. Foster & Smith. Also, keep doing at least a weekly brushing to get his natural oils rising to the skin. I would recommend a rubber curry brush which is very gentle on pups and gives the dog a nice massage.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I give Ben some fish oil (I think it is herring) and dried kelp with his food. Keeps the dandruff under control.

He only gets bathed every 3-4 weeks, unless he has gotten into something.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Murphy had the same thing until he was about 5 or 6 months old.

We discussed it with our vet and he said it's pretty normal. He cautioned against giving him any fatty oils until he was a year old-since beagles can easily get obese he felt it might increase the possibility of future weight problems.

He's now over 7 months and we rarely see dandruff on him. I suspect now that it's warm and humid (Iowa) we won't see it again until winter and the furnace dry out his skin.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Gino had a bad case of it when we first got him. Once we changed him over to the food we use with our other beags it went away completely and his coat is nice and shiny!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great! Thanks guys! I'll ask the vet about it when we're in for our visit at the end of the month, and until then I will just brush him regularly!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I give my dogs brewer's yeast and garlic tablets which contain omega-3 fatty oils. They all have shiny coats, and no dandruff problems.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I give Bagel a Suasage McMuffin hold the Muffin which I'm sure he prefers the eggs, cheese and sausage to all these fancy things BUT eggs, fatty oils (Omega-3 are really the best) and such are really the best ways to help your pooch have a good shiny and healthy coat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts