Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey every one,
i dont know if this is how you call the white things on the hair but anyway pita has dandruff, i shampood her and they came of yesterday and today i saw them again, is there a special shampoo? what should i do?

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
A shampoo with oatmeal in it is moisturizing. You might put fish oil tablets in the food every other day. It's wonderful for their coats!

(Don't bathe your beagle too often as that can strip their coats of essential oils)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
They get that sometimes when the weather changes, and their skin is a little dry. You can try adding a little rosemary oil (a teaspoon) to her food once a day. And try not to bath her very much so that her coat and skin will produce the oil that protects her. Also, brush her every other day at least to stimulate her skin. That should help.
Don't worry about it too much though.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think generally it is more dry skin, not dandruff. I used to have more troubles with that, though I had started using a conditioner on them after their shampoo when I wash them. that helps a LOT but still have the flakes on occasion. Right now the weather is changing somewhat in Iowa so I probably will be washing them again soon, but I try not to much in the winter. They love a cool off bath in the summer though!
Judi

·
Registered
54 Posts
holly has the same problem because of the cold. i asked my vet about it and she said that i should use a shampoo with oatmeal (which i use), but also to supplement it with fish oil...they have them in capsule form and also in a spray form. You just spritz it onto the food.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We've been trying to bath Bodie once a week. This is mainly because he plays hard and is in and out of bushes all the time. And being an inside/outside dog we'd like to keep him clean.

I've noticed the following day after a bath what appears to be dandruff in his fur. He has a beautiful coat and doesn't show any signs (excessive scratching) of a skin problem. I understand his natural body oil will keep his skin healthy. Do you think once a week baths are too frequent?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to try a little olive oil on his food to see if that helps. I know there is dandruff shampoo for dogs, but we're using a flea shampoo right now. We don't usually brush him because his hair is so short and doesn't seem necessary. Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are waterless shampoos that you can use to clean his coat without actually washing him. You can also use baby wipes to clean his coat. We try to actually bathe Tucker no more often than every other month, sometimes longer. We judge based on how dirty he is and if he smells too bad. Otherwise he just gets quick clean ups to get the dirt off and smelling better (to us). It also helps to brush him alot. Get a hound glove as they work well. We have a brush that removes the excess hair and is self cleaning. We also give him a dog breath mint when we do it so he loves getting his brushing/ear cleaning/teeth cleanings.

A high quality food also helps their coat too. There are lots of posts on that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts