Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear, this dog is afraid of just about everything now and I am at my wits end on how to help her. We've been to PetSmart a million times and now she's afraid of the doors. Once we are through them, she's fine but I have to drag her through. She's afraid of my son's bean bag chair. So much so that we had to move it to another room tonight. She peed all over my feet when my son moved the bean bag to get to something else. It's not new, and we've moved it around her before with no issues. The worst part of it is even if you remove what she was afraid of she stays afraid of the person who had the object. So, after the bean bag incident she was scared of my son for probably an hour or so afterward until she finally realized that he didn't have it anymore.

She used to be fine with the school bus and waiting for it with my son, but now she is absolutely terrified of the bus, the other kids and their backpacks, etc. Right now she is just scared and pulls hard but I am afraid that she's start snapping and biting from fear and I definitely don't want that to happen.

I am very matter of fact with her and I don't tell her it's ok or pick her up when she's scared (not that I want to be carrying 26lbs of dog) but I don't know what else I can start doing to help her.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I wish I had some advice for you Aliesha, but I really don't have a clue why some dogs are 'fraidy cats, and some aren't. My previous beagle Molly wasn't afraid of a single thing, but Maggie has this thing about people approaching her. When we're on a walk, if someone walks up and wants to pet her, she shys away and hides behind my legs. It's weird, because she only started doing this a couple of months ago, and I can't think of a single thing that happened that would make her afraid of people.

The other day, I had an empty plastic grocery bag sitting on the bathroom counter, and she walked in, saw it, and started barking and backing up, hair on end.

Hopefully someone here will have some advice on how to handle their 'issues', but at the moment, I'm just trying to ignore it and not make a big deal out of it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Have you tried consulting a trainer?

Sorry, but I also don't have any idea. It's very strange, though... as if something happened to make her more afraid of more things (even stuff that she was fine with in the past).

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyHave you tried consulting a trainer?

Sorry, but I also don't have any idea. It's very strange, though... as if something happened to make her more afraid of more things (even stuff that she was fine with in the past).
It all started 3 months or so I guess. She would have been around 7 months old. It was after a stay at the doggy daycare. I was thinking that something happened there, but I've asked and they say that nothing has ever happened to her there. I just don't know.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I suspect that SOMETHING did happen there and they either don't want to tell you - or perhaps they really don't know (which I find hard to believe).

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I agree with Glenda that something there had to have been what started this. I'm so sorry Daisy is having such a hard time. There are times Duke is scared of things, but usually short-lived and very random. It must be very difficult for you to see your baby in such a stressed out state.

I have no advice to offer, but Eleanor's suggestion of a trainer seems a good one. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
maybe distract her with food/treats whenever she is afraid of something? something that she can't resist especially.
just throwing out some ideas.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't have a whole lot of advice but I would think maybe distracting her with treats would help. Ours used be pretty afraid of getting in the tub for a bath, but they're a lot better now. We started taking in a bunch of treats (low fat
) and just giving one for every little advance they made. Then we started putting one in the tub and letting them jump in to get it. Now what we do is put one in the tub, give them one in the middle of the bath and then one at the end. They still don't like baths persay, but they aren't really afraid anymore.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Monty loves being around other dogs, but there is one dog on our street that he's terrafied of. Whenever we walk past he hangs his head really low, and he walks as far away as possible. Whenever we walk by there, i put myself between him and the dog, and just talk to him in a calm voice. Treats help too. This has been going on for about a month now, and i see he's getting better. Before he would stop walking altogether and i'd have to drag him past, but now he kind of speeds up, and he always looks up at me to make sure i'm there for him. It;s pretty cute actually.

Maybe you could try something like that? Put yourself between whatever is bothering Daisy, and take her mind off of it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
has Daisy gotten any better? she will continue to be in our thoughts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts