Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so when I told my hubby about it possibly not being seizures that Daisy has had, but rather a back problem that could possibly leave her paralyzed; he too was extremely worried. I tried to call our vet today, but she was not in today. There are many other vets at our office, but she is the only one that we really trust and like the most. She is the best! I will try again tomorrow.
Would anyone happen to know what the name of this spinal disorder would be? I want to research it as much as possible!
I was also wondering..., there is a specific spot on Daisy that when you touch it, she will yelp. I haven't tried to find this spot on purpose because I don't want to hurt her, obviously. It does not happen very often, so we just are always extremely careful about picking her up. My husband or I are the only people allowed to pick her up because of it, and even then we are beyond careful to not get her in this spot. We guessed it was either somewhere in her belly area or her back. Would this be another marker of the spinal disorder? Since she was a rescue, we really don't know what happended to her before coming to us, but from what we saw in her, it was not good.
I feel so horrible for not thinking more about all of this before now! We brought her to the vet when we first got her, and they gave her a check over and said with the exception of a rotten tooth, she was healthy. Of course, she had not had any episodes at that point. We were later told just to keep an eye on her episodes, and if they occured frequently to bring her in. I hope we have not over-looked something by doing so! She has not had one of her episodes in about 2 months, and before that it had been several months. We had been told that it was common for Beagles in our area (due to over-breeding??) to have seizures and not to worry about it too much unless they became more frequent.
Thank you so much to whom ever can give me any more info!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You will drive youself crazy worrying, so try not to.

The condition would either be a herniated disk or IVDD. Sadly both are common problems in dogs that are longer than they are tall (dachsunds especially so). Whether or not the spat is sensitive to the touch depends on if the disk material is inflammed. Let your vet do the checking.

Keep in mind, it could be epilepsy (seizures) and I could be way off base. Let your vet diagnose it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
murphysdad has experience enough to tell you that a back issue is no joke, and is very serious. bernie is now going through his post-op recovery from a disk issue. no poking the "soft spot". no climbing stairs for any reason. no jumping period.
that includes up on the couch or the bed.
keep the activity level to an extreme minimum. go see the vet asap. i dont want to alarm you ok.
but if its a disk injury, this is serious. the sooner you catch it the better it is on the pup, you, and your wallet. im almost $5,000 into this with bernie. worth every penny too i promise you.
if i had caught it a little earlier bernie/i would have been better off.
for the record, it was right here at BW that i got a great deal of support,and answers. these kind folks walked with me every step of the way too. and for that, im very greatful.
please get your pup checked out asap. oh, and lift him as little as possible too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts