Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... as many of you know Daisy has had problems since we got her nearly two years ago. Her licking/throwing up mucus episodes (putting it mildly) has gone on pretty much the entire time. We've tried all we can think of to this point:

Throat Wash
Endoscopy
Full blood work
x-rays
Meds for seizures
Several acid reducer meds
Special diet (2 different ones)
Anti-nausea shot and liquid meds
Steroids
Antihistamines
Natural remedies
Antibiotics
Valium

Well... I think that's it, but honestly I can't even remember everything. Jason got home before me today to find Daisy in the middle of an episode and having thrown up mucus all over the house (this happened a couple of days ago as well). When I got home he was cleaning and she was still licking. I let her outside and it was the usual story, gorging herself on grass, throwing up mucus, etc. I finally had enough and called the vet back. We really like our current vet but he's at his wits end, as are we. We just don't know what to try. We're putting her back on the steroid (the only thing we're pretty sure helps at all) and changing to Tagamet from Pepcid as a preventative. I'm also going to elevate her food bowl. However, we've decided it best to make an appointment with the vet clinic at Auburn University. We've heard wonderful things about them and have had several vets, from two different states we've lived in, recommend them. It's about a 4hr drive from us, so whenever we get the appointment we'll take the day and drive up, then back home. Please pray that finally someone will figure out what's wrong with her. I'm so afraid that one day she'll get a hold of something while we're at work, eat it, and hurt herself. When she had her episode a couple of days ago she climbed on the bottom shelf of the bookshelf and scraped off some of the black coating on it and ate it.

She is not currently licking, she's finally asleep. But she often wakes up and coughs a gurgly sounding cough and then lies back down. It makes me so sad that she has had to deal with this for so long.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I'm so sorry Erin. I was hoping and praying the new diet would be the key. Daisy is so very lucky to have such a commited Mommy, and I hope that Auburn University will be able to provide a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan. Will continue to keep Daisy in thought and prayer.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am so sorry that you and Daisy have to deal with this. I will keep you and the doctors in my prayers and hope they can find an answer for you.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Erin it sounds like a great next step! Somebody will figure it out, you learn something from each vet and get a little closer to an answer. Good luck and I hope she feels better

·
Registered
350 Posts
Will Pray for her and you.
keep us posted.
C.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you for being so dedicated to helping her. I hope you are able to finally resolve her problems. We will keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Erin -- sending good vibes and prayers your way that the folks at Auburn University can provide some answers. I honestly don't remember but do you have a video of Daisy's episodes to share with the folks there? When my Maggie was having episodes, someone suggested that to me and it was a key to ruling out seizures and leading to a diagnosis eventually (she was having extreme anxiety reactions to pain from liver biopsies, inflamed anal glands, etc.).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I do hope that the vet at Auburn will be able to determine the cause of Daisy's episodes. You're a wonderful beagle mommy, and will be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally Posted By: judymaggieErin -- sending good vibes and prayers your way that the folks at Auburn University can provide some answers. I honestly don't remember but do you have a video of Daisy's episodes to share with the folks there? When my Maggie was having episodes, someone suggested that to me and it was a key to ruling out seizures and leading to a diagnosis eventually (she was having extreme anxiety reactions to pain from liver biopsies, inflamed anal glands, etc.).
We took a couple of videos last year. The episodes have always looked the same so we don't have any new ones. They are posted on youtube, but we'll be taking the videos with us.

Actually, our current vet has already spoken with Auburn. He was able to call up there and have both a neurologist AND an internist watch the videos while he was on the phone with them. The neurologist said he didn't think it was a neurological problem, so we'll probably go see an internist. Although we've already seen one internist in Jacksonville. She's the one that did the endoscopy.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally Posted By: Kim'n the BeaglebratzI wonder if it is more of some type of behavior problem than a medical one or maybe a combination of both - whatever it is I sure hope the problem is figured out at Auburn and pray that Daisy and you all can get through this.
I've actually spoken with a behaviorist already. She didn't see the videos, but from what I described to her she didn't seem to think it was a behavioral issue. But who knows! I do wonder sometimes if it's a combination.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
For several years Maggie's (former) vet thought that her episodes were just extreme anxiety attacks. It made no sense to me since she loved going outside when there were fireworks (I would be startled -- she could have cared less!) and slept right through even violent thunderstorms. There was absolutely nothing specific in her environment that would trigger an episode. Bottom line is ... we know our dogs better than anyone else. Go with your gut and keep on working towards a diagnosis that makes sense to you!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Best of luck to you and Daisy at Auburn U, I truly hope you can find some resolution and peace with this situation! Positive thoughts and vibes from our beagle family to yours!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally Posted By: judymaggieFor several years Maggie's (former) vet thought that her episodes were just extreme anxiety attacks. It made no sense to me since she loved going outside when there were fireworks (I would be startled -- she could have cared less!) and slept right through even violent thunderstorms. There was absolutely nothing specific in her environment that would trigger an episode. Bottom line is ... we know our dogs better than anyone else. Go with your gut and keep on working towards a diagnosis that makes sense to you!
Thanks for the support! There have been several times when a vet has brushed her issues off or made some flimsy explanation and I've just moved on to a new vet.

It came up one time that maybe Daisy's problems was some kind of anxiety, but it's so random. Daisy also isn't afraid of thunder or fireworks and doesn't ever freak out when we leave her. Sure sometimes she makes a pouty face and sulks off but she most definitely doesn't have separation anxiety.

Anyway, we'll just keep plugging away!

I REALLY appreciate the support that we get from EVERYONE at Beagle World!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all! We have our appointment for Thursday, July 2. We're taking the day off from work because it's about a 4hr drive. We're praying they'll be able to figure it out!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
The hardest part is not having an answer. We're sending our best wishes with you and Daisy. Hopefully you'll have an answer soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts