Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Daisy to the vet's last Wednesday for her ear infections (both yeast and bacteria) and her booster shot and her wellness exam and blood tests. We got home content that all was well along with ear medicine and flea and heartworm stuff. I was sure we were all set for a long time.

Then on Thursday I got a call asking me to bring her in for a Cushings test. I never expected anything was wrong. I waited til today to make the appt. In the meantime I looked up Cushings on the internet and got all the latest info I could. I also found the caninecushing.net support group. Didn't join yet since she hasn't been diagnosed with it yet.

I was told by vet that this test is the 8 hour one and I was very pleased that everything I was told was the same things I had read on the support group info. So it seems that my vets are right on when it comes to diagnosis and treatment.

The only symptoms Daisy seems to have are her pot belly and some, but not a lot, thirst. Maybe a little lethargy, but not too much more than she ever had. I always thought she might be bored because of my low level of activity with being handicapped.

I'm not exactly freaked out, but I do feel upset because this is something that will last the rest of her life. On top of this, Hubby is coming home from the nursing home next weekend and a lot of preparation needs to take place -- fixing up his room and moving a hospital bed in along with all the supplies he'll need. I haven't even told him much about his beloved Daisy in order to not upset him -- he's nervous enough already. Me, too!!

In a strange way, if she has to have a problem, at least Cushings is treatable (I hope!!) If it's not Cushings, what is it they found :angel: (and me!) in your thoughts this coming Wednesday -- her test date.

Sorry this is so long -- just needed to get it out there and not leave it rattling around in my brain until I'm crazy.

Thanks for reading

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Oh Monica!

So much is going on, isn't it?

No use thinking too hard about it before anything is definite. It'll make you crazy.

Take it one day at a time. (and like you said, there are worse things than having Cushings)

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
So sorry to hear about your problems. Shall pray that all goes well.

We are about to set off on our travels, but we hope to hear all is well at your end when we look in.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Monica, as I'm sure I've mentioned, probably too many times, my Shiloh has Cushings. She was diagnosed 2 years ago, but I suspect she had it before then and we just didn't realize. Yes, Cushings is treatable, so in that way it's not such a bad disease to have. And it sounds like your vet had a good understanding of it; that melps so much! Shiloh has done fine--I've only had to adjust her medication once. I took her in a couple of weeks ago for another ACTH test, the first one she's had since treatment began, because I was afraid her numbers were going up and I might have to increase dosage again. But it turned out she had a urinary tract infection. I've learned from the cushings support group I'm in that cushings dogs are more prone to infections, so Daisy may get more ear infections (and Shiloh more UTIs) but those can be treated too.
You've got an awful lot on your plate right now--I'm so sorry you have this added concern. I'll keep you in my prayers. Feel free to PM me if I can help!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Monica - you really do have a full plate, don't you. It sounds like, if Daisy does have confirmed Cushings, it might be a mild case, at least at this point. Check with your vet (who, thankfully, does sound on top of things) and ask if you can put that on the back burner for a bit -- at least until Hubby gets home and settled in. Please take care of yourself -- hugs coming your way!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Monica - so sorry to hear about Daisy. But this forum is the absolute perfect place for you and Daisy (and Husband)! :heart: We may not be experts but boy do we know our Beagles. There is nothing stronger than this united Beagle front! You obviously have a Vet who is on top of things which is your first line of defense. Fingers and paws crossed for the best possible outcome Wed. Remember, take care of yourself. :heart:

Your post was not to long!!! I have never read a post here that I though too long. As for venting, go for it - that is what we are here for. Shoulders and Klenix also available at no charge.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sorry to ready about Daisy, but you're among friends here, and we're here to support you. Sometimes it does seem that things just pile up, and one has to let off a little steam.

Do remember to take care of yourself. That'll be good for you, Daisy and Butch.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Monica,
You're surrounded by people who care, so 'rattle' away and vent all you need to.

I only wish I lived close enough to help when Butch gets home to relieve some of your burden. Since I don't, the prayers continue for you all. Daisy is in good hands too, and look to those here with Cushings experience for advice.

You're never alone with us here.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It is great to hear that Butch is doing so well he can come home /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I understand your nervousness but I am sure it will all work out.

Your vet sounds great and like he knows what he's doing so that helps a little. Daisy sounds like she is in good hands with him.

I will continue to keep you, Daisy and Butch on my prayer list and I hope all goes well next week with Butch's return home !!

·
Registered
91 Posts
We also had a Cushing's scare last fall with our Sam-I-Am Our 10-year-old male). He didn't have the 'classic' Cushing's symptoms, other than the enlarged liver. In the end, before we began treatment for Cushing's, our vet decided to check his thyroid levels.

As it turns out he is not a Cushing's dog but does have a low thyroid condition (hypOthyroid). We have been treating him with medication (thyrozine) since and have seen his Cushing's-like symptoms subside.

Just something to check before all is finally diagnosed. Cushing's diagnoses, as explained to us by our vet, can be tricky, since the symptoms mimic other conditions.

As all have said, you have a lot of support here. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My, my so much is going on! Lucky and I will keep our paws and fingers crossed that all goes well on Wednesday. Give Daisy lots of love from us. I also hope your busband's move home goes well!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by My Sweet Daisy:
NO CUSHINGS. Vet said we will check an elevated level of something (can't remember the name) each time she has her wellness blood work
Great news! Vet is probably checking Daisy's alkaline phosphatase levels. Maggie's are up over 3,000! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif That's one of the levels she'll have checked today at the vets. It is certainly not the only indicator of Cushings but fits together with other things.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
whew!
One piece of good news for the week! (I hope the news continues to be good about Butch also )

Prayers on the way....

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Monica, just caught up with the good news about Daisy!!! :happyhappy: I'm so relieved for you! Now I hope things get better for the rest of your family too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts