Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daisy got out tonight. Still gone. I don't know how she did it, but I'm tired of it. I did get in my car and go to the usual place, but I could only hear her. Then I could tell she was very close, so I was out on foot too, but even when I was within 20 feet of her, she ignored me. It's cold, rainy, and very windy. I finally came back home and can still hear her from time to time, even saw her next door for a moment, but she keeps taking off. I just can't chase her anymore. I live in an area that is pretty closed in from major streets, but I know the risk is there. She has her tag on and is chipped. I hope she will get tired and come home, or my phone will ring. I feel bad. I've done so many things to my fence, but she still gets out if I'm not there to watch her every minute. She either climbs it or jumps it, and I can't afford a new one right now.

She's been gone almost two hours. I just went outside again and I can hear her baying. But I know it's pointless to get in the car and go after her again, because she just won't come to me. I'm sorry this is a rambling post, but I'm just frustrated and worn out.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Does a tasty treat not work for her? That is usually how we have to catch ours if they refuse to come to us. I'm sorry you are so frustrated and I hope she does come back on her own for you because I hate to think of her out there and lost. Could you use a tie out and cable to keep her in the yard until you can afford a new fence? I know that may seem cruel, but her getting out and getting hurt or stolen would be worse.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's back. I did go out again, and when I got back home, she was in a yard across the street. She was filthy, so she got a bath at midnight. Neither of us were pleased.

Tasty treats do not work. I was tossing them at her when I could get close enough, but she gets on a scent and couldn't care less. Maybe I should throw rabbit carcasses at her.

I do have a cable, but when I hook her up she just sits there and will not move. Too bad I guess. It's hard though, because I got a new dog last month, (so she would have someone to play with!!), so having her tethered doesn't work great with the puppy running around crazy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm so glad to read that Daisy made her way back home but am sorry she has become such an escape artist. Hang in there! I have never lived in a location where Maggie has a yard so I don't have any suggestions but, hopefully, others will come along with some.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only solution is a 6' wood fence, which is quite expensive. I have been saving, but even if I had the money now, it is probably too cold to dig holes for the fence posts.

I am usually out there with her, or at least watching from just inside the door. If I see her looking in a certain way at the fence, I yell at her and she moves along. I think what happened last night was that I let my two other dogs out, and when they came in, the door was left ajar and I forgot about it. Daisy can open the door if it's not completely shut.

In addition to the bath, she also got no supper and had to sleep in the spare room since she was still damp. I am sure her little adventure was worth it to her, and she'd do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Daisy sounds a lot like our Moose - luckily he can't jump/climb fences (plus we live in an apartment) but there have been several occasions where he has gotten loose and has gone on a several-hour rampage... never going far enough away that we can't hear him but certainly not coming back when we call or even wave food at him. He has gotten better as he has gotten older - that is really all I can say to reassure you that perhaps Daisy will eventually improve.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm glad that she is back home. Don't have any surefire answers, but there has to be one....can you tether her up in the back yard?
That's about the only thing I can think of, other than walking her yourself...which isn't always fun either...but safer.

Cathy

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Whew! I'm glad Daisy had sense enough to come home...you must be so relieved! Wish I had some other answers for you (besides the expensive fence) but other than tethering her, I really can't think of anything. Hope you're able to work something out so she quits escaping..

·
Registered
837 Posts
There are a couple of options I would suggest.

- keep her inside unless supervised
- add chicken wire to the top of the fence, but on an angle, so its flat but points inwards - that way if she climbs to the top, she can't get out, as the wire acts as a barrier. If you imagine the wire to look like:

__
|

So it sits over the top of the fence in an upside down L shape.

- e-collar training.

I wouldn't tether her because I would worry that unsupervised she could get caught up and choke herself. Also, she could easily slip her collar.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Glad she is back and ok!! We have a six foot wooden privacy fence with an electric wire fence running along the bottom of the fence. Mine dug out about 4 or 5 times when they were young. That was enough for me. We installed the electric fence and no more digging out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smeagle - I already have the chicken wire on top of the fence - actually the chicken wire didn't work, so I took it off and used hardware cloth. (really heavy duty chicken wire.) That is on two sections of the fence. On the back, I added 3' of height by attaching metal post extenders, then attaching fence cloth (fabric like they use on tennis court fences). I believe that some of the cloth came unattached, so that section was only 4' tall and she jumped it.

I will just continue to watch her while she is out there, and make sure the back door is shut tight. I will be getting that 6' wood fence in the Spring.

Mom of 2 - I am VERY THANKFUL she doesn't dig!

The only good thing that came out of all of this is that she smells so good from her bath. I used my own body wash - Oil of Olay. Smells yummy!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I can't wait for you to get the 6 foot fence! Oh, so she is a jumper and not a digger? Daisy, please be a good girl and stay in your yard for your Mamma!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh, Daisy, you bad, bad girl! Glad to hear she made it home.

Would an electric fence work in this situation?

·
Registered
890 Posts
From what I have heard, beagles tend not to do well with the invisible fence. When their noses kick in they will take the shock to follow the scent. Once they have crossed the fence and they want to come back, they won't because they will have to get the shock again. The invisible fence doesn't stop other animals from going through your yard so they will leave nice trails to follow. Everyday Tucker patrols the back yard to see who has crossed though it since he last was outside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts