Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my husband will probably kill me
but I have pretty much got everything set to bring home a miniature dachshund when he's old enough to come home. I haven't put down the deposit yet, but I plan to this weekend.

So, any tips for bringing home a second dog especially a tiny puppy? Daisy is so overzealous when it comes to playing and I don't want her to hurt him. I do have a few weeks to prepare since he was just born on Tuesday. I plan to crate them separately for now. He won't be big enough to protect himself for a while.

He's the solid blue (gray) one. Anyone have any name suggestions?

·
Registered
120 Posts
No advice, but just wanted to comment on beautiful pup. I love the color.
Deciding on a name is hard. I think baxter was puppy puppy for almost 2 weeks before we decided on his name.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Those pups are gorgeous. I love the merle coloring when they are fully grown, it turns marble like.
The blue one is the one in the front? if so, he's just magnificent
. I wonder what he'd look like fully grown though.

No advice, but I'm gealous!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Maybe a good name would be Blue. I don't know but I think it is cute! I think keeping them separate would be good until the puppy gets bigger. Still let them play but with boundaries. Not rough play. But I would make sure Daisy gets to sniff the puppy. Also make sure Daisy knows the puppy is not more important than her. Make sure they both get plenty of attention not just the puppy.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, in the top picture he is in the front on the right and in the bottom picture he's on the left underneath the head of the dappled one.

I have been considering the name Blue myself. My husband is no help. He's mad at me about it right now anyway
but I'm hoping he'll warm up as soon as he gets to meet him. I will have some carefully watched play time. It will be at least the end of October until he's ready to leave his mom though. I plan to have Daisy be the alpha dog so to speak since she was here first.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my son decided to name him Max and since that wasn't so bad I went with it. So, they are going to start calling him that so he'll know his name when he gets to us.

My husband is steaming mad, but I suppose he'll get over it.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Can't wait to see more pics of Max.
I have added puppies to our zoo several times over the years. Crating apart from each other is a must, as well as individual attention for the first few days(maybe weeks). I will say that I have always been impressed with how gentle my adult dogs are with a puppy.
It's like they know this is a baby and they have to tone the enthusiasm down some. Still, after Max grows and wants to play more, it will still need to be supervised. I firmly believe in having more than one pup, if you can, they really seem to love the company!

·
Registered
889 Posts
My brothers ex girlfriend had a mini doxie. He was soooo adorable! But anyway, my parents have two BIG labs and one day she brought her doxie over. He was teeny tiny compared to the labs but they had a BLAST!! The labs learned that if they lied down the puppy could play with them very easily. And the pup learned that he could jump up on the couch and be eye level. It was so sweet. I think they'll be fine as long as they're supervised. The pup at my parents house even got bowled over a couple times while they were playing outside and he just shrugged it off.

Don't worry, as soon as your hubby sees that face he'll melt!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Before my cousin brought her second Shih Tzu home, her father told her that when that dogs sets his paws in the house, he leaves (her mom was in it with her
).
When they brought Meme, the next day, he did ignore her for a few hours.
They are best friends now, and Meme is the first one he gives the time of day when he's coming back from work.

I'd say there's hope

btw - Max is a great name for a Doxie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts