Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having such a hard time cutting my baby's nails. I think part of the problem is I bought a very cheap guillotine doggie nail clipper from walmart. The guillotine clippers press down really hard on his nails before even sort of cutting through them. One time I was trying to cut Arty's nails but he was so agitated that he moved just as I pressed down and I ended up cutting quite a bit into the quick, which caused a LOT of bleeding (and scared both me and him to death). I would love to have his nails done by a professional but since I'm a fulltime grad student it is just not possible in my budget. I also worry that even if they are professionals they might not cuddle and soothe Arty the way I would.

So, long story short - if it IS the sucky guillotine clippers, could someone recommend some better clippers for me? Should I give Arty some painkillers first before I start? If so, what do you recommend? I prefer clippers instead of filing because the nail dust is too much to clean up and also can take up a lot of time (time that can be used to study, of course! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/greendevil.gif ).

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Our Petsmart charges $8 for a nail trim. We found a guy there who is really fast. I always tell them its OK to muzzle Maggie because she will bite when her nails are being clipped. He always manages a few without the muzzle and then ends up putting in. We stand right there and watch. He obviously likes Maggie and is working really hard with her.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Once a month the boys go for grooming at Suite Dreams Boarding facility here in our town. This is includes the dreaded nail trim.

The boys enjoy the afternoon to see their friends there. The girls at Suite Dreams light up when Vinny and Miles come in.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I try to get someone, such as my boyfriend, to hold onto half the dog while I clip the nails on the other half. It helps immeasurably to have an extra set of hands. Spock and Bones are both puppies, and we started cutting their nails pretty soon after we got them, so they're a little more acclimated to letting mommy manhandle them a bit (Spock is submissive enough, too, that I don't really need someone's help to cut his nails anymore). It may be more difficult to get an older and more independent dog to hold still when you come after him with pointy things.

A roommate of mine years ago had a fat English bulldog who would let my roommate roll him over on his back, where he had a hard time getting up due to his stubby legs, and cut his nails. Poor Moose! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif He was always richly rewarded for such things with dog treats, which probably did nothing to help his obesity.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone! I just ordered a pair of clippers from petsmart based on your recommendations. I'll keep you all updated on how well it works on Arty.

oh! PS here's a great coupon code for petsmart.com .. enter it before you check out (they prompt you to enter the code). It's five dollars off any purchase of 15 dollars or more.. thats a huge deal! here's the code you enter: PAW5OFF15M not sure how long the code will work for but it worked for me today!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I use the scissors type on Ginger and Bailey, but I have to be careful of their paw pads. For some reason Chloe is very scared of the scissor clippers so I also have good set of the other ones also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.