Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the beagles chased and chased a rabbit this morning...howling and everything! it was very early and my neighbors' lights were all turning on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/walk.gif then they went behind and the shed and it was very quiet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pureevil.gif
Then each beagle went to their own corner in our snow filled yard and all I could hear was crunch, crunch, crunch...I begged and pleaded and they would not come in.
My son went out there and bent over the rabbit and said "where's the head?" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif
uh, in Georgia's belly....
so far, no ill effects.
what do you do?!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wave.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I guess they are true hunting dogs at heart. My two have never had the chance to chase an animal like that so I don't know what they would do.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
That's pretty gross! Thankfully I haven't had to deal with something like that.

I would call the vet. Is it common for scent dogs to eat whatever they're scenting?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don't think it's common for them to eat their prey. However, if the hunting instinct is not cultivated and directed, I imagine you could get a situation like that. You have to remember that in hunting and sporting dogs the prey drive is often very strong and must be controlled from an early age to prevent going through with the hunt. With my English Cockers we were training them at 8 weeks to start hunting and following commands in the field. Otherwise I would keep the beags away from prey animals if you can, because they'll just keep doing it. That's what Beagles were bred for; chasing down prey for the hunters and occasionally dispatching it if the hunters weren't fast enough. They have also hunted in packs for hundreds of years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think I'd just keep an eye on them - from the window!

My beag caught a big rat in the garden once, but she didn't make any attempt to eat it - she just wanted to give it to me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, both of the dogs are fine. they were hunting it down in a pack, now that I think about it.

once the snow melts (it has drifted up and over my deck), the rabbits will be able to hide under it from the dogs.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our first beagle killed a hare and ate it apart from the head, which she buried in a neighbours garden. Didnt do her any harm. Dont know about rabies, we have rabies here but the fox are the biggest danger.
Our beagles get sick when they eat mice, particularly 'root mice' i.e. mice that eat roots of bushes and trees, they have a natural poison in them.

·
Registered
751 Posts
we have little bunnies in our yard everyday, and see them on walks. Marley will attempt to smell them out and chase, but I don't let him.

I don't know what the heck I would do. Ok, not thinking about the crunch anymore!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts