Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was just posted on Beagle Bay - and thought BW should be aware of it, too! The link didn't work - so you'll have to copy and paste it into your browser. The picture isn't showing here - but it's on the website!

CROSS POSTING ONLY
IMPORTANT THIS IS DEADLY TO HUMANS AND DOGS.

I have a rescue acquaintance in Central Texas who has been dealing with a chronic health issues in her dogs. After extensive testing, they have discovered the dogs have Chagas disease (Better known as the ‘Kiss of Death’.) She sent some info my way and I have to say, this terrifies me! More than 400 dogs in Texas have been diagnosed with it to date. Knowing how much testing these dogs went through to come to a correct diagnosis, I'm certain there are many, many more infected and haven't been properly diagnosed. It is spread by seemingly innocent bug, Called a Kissing Bug or Reduviid, Triatomine bug. Doesn’t look that harmless to me. Please read the accompanying article.

IT IS INFECTIOUS TO HUMANS AS WELL AND CAUSES HEART FAILURE! In countries where it's been prevalent, it is mandated that the blood banks test for it. That's not the case in the US, though there are tens of thousands known to be infected.

If you live in the Southern US, especially Texas and Oklahoma, please familiarize yourself with this disease, the carrier and what to do to prevent it.

A very informative site dedicated to this subject:

http://www.allaboutchagasdisease.com

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jamie - I just posted it as it was posted on BB and didn't go further than the link. I'll add that to the post if you don't mind.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That was scary...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My god, this rate of diseases is gonna keep us indoors for life.... well, no! not really. But it is scary.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.