Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from the dog park. I'm not happy that this man with another beagle, he criticized my Charlie as legs longer and skinnier over all, and he wonder mine must be a mix and his is the better, or it may sounds that way to me. Talking about my baby. So I came home and measured Charlie, he falls into the catagory of a 15" beagle. I notice even his nose shape is longer? I'm not a expert. As for the skinny part, vet said he is perfectly fine. But should I feed him more. I feed him 2 cups a day 2x. He doesn't seem to be very hungry. Vet said do not over do it because it is very hard to slim a beagle.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Charlie mom

G

·
Charlie mom, Charlie looks like a field beagle to me. There's two different lines, field and show. Show beagles tend to have rounder skulls, shorter snouts and stockier legs. If the guy at the park had a show beagle, he's probably used to thinking of his dog as having the normal beagle look. Follow your vet's advice about the food. If the guy was making fun of Charlie, he sounds like a jerk, who's too caught up in the breed standard.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
I wonder if that dude is a member here and if he is or comes here if he is reading this thread. If he is perhaps in the future perhaps he might not be so pushy towards others fur kids.

Beagles are like people. It is very rare two look alike. That’s why they are "fur kids", just like people, very rare two look alike. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Who cares what he says!? Do you love your baby any less? Jersey isn't a pure bred beagle, but I still love her. She's tall, lean and has a slender head and nose. She could just be more field beagle than show beagle...who knows. Mom was a stray found pregnant in a ditch so her paternal lineage is unknown. As far as I am concerned (and Jersey by her behaviors!), she's a beagle. There's something(s) else in her blood, but she's still my baby girl! Charlie is a fine looking pup. If your vet says his weight is good, that's what is important. You don't want a beag packing on the pounds. Like your vet said, it's too hard to get them off! Don't worry about what some inconsiderate jerk says! There are always "breed snobs" out there who think that their dog is better than anyone elses. Charlie is perfect! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Just ignore that man.....Charlie is a fine beagle boy if you ask me !!!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for your input and confort.
I do not worry if he is a pure bred, I love him still. But, I got him from a breeder who claimed he is and charge me $500 for him. So I just want to make sure that I was not being cheated.
He is maybe a more of a field beagle, a true hound dog. His speed is incredible, he runs like a grey hound, truely from a distant, he can catch up with big dogs with his long legs. I do not see other beagles in the park run as fast as he does. His hinds legs just spring him up and down, he jumps really really high too, I'm afraid he might hurt himself. But one thing proves he is a true beagle is his arrrrrooooo. :biglaugh:

Charlie mom

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oh Charlie is just too cute! Who would make fun of your furry kid?? Hmmm, but I too feel your pain sometimes. EVERYONE and I mean everyone I meet when I take Badger somewhere swears he is a basset hound and not a beagle! Even when I took him and Bella to the costumer contest this week people made comments how Bella is the Beagle and look at the other one is he part basset? I too got Badgie from a breed who says he is pure beag!

Feel free to vent anytime to me! I'm with you all the way everyones beagle babies are just perfect no matter what they look like! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Here are a few pictures of them. Yes, they may look different but I love both my beagles to pieces!! :heart:

It's kinda hard to tell in the pictures, but Badger is lower to the ground and stockier.

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hey, Charlie mom, forget what that guy said. Personally, I'd like to add another category to those existing two, field and show. My new category would be called "beloved companion" and beagles in this category can come in any shape and size (and length and width and height...) And the most important thing is they are ours to love, to tease, to cuddle, to hug, to kiss, to pet... They don't have to look right to others as long as they look just perfect to you!!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I can understand your concern if you paid $$$$ for your boy and he wasn't purebred. That's certainly a legitimate concern! There are bad breeders out there, and they should be shutdown.

However, I can tell from your posts, that you adore your boy no matter what. Our Maggie is an a-typical beagle with a chocolate saddle and clear hazel/green eyes. She was a rescue, but we've since been informed from area hunters that she is from a respected hunting line of 'black creek beagles'. She would never win any conformation awards in a dog show.....but we could care less.
She has enriched our lives so much! My college-aged son is head-over-heels in love with this quirky-girl, and her antics keep us in stitches. Certainly no amount of awards on the wall could EVER mean more than that.

Enjoy your pup....and ignore snobby people who ONLY believe in perfect-body-conformation to determine a pet's worth. GGrrrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Keep in mind this is some random guy you met that may know nothing about beagles, but fancies himself an expert. Beagles come in a myriad of shapes and colors. Molly is longer and leaner, with a slimmer face, and I thought she was a mix also. Until I met numerous hunters that admired her greately, and assured me (like it mattered) that she was all beagle. Field beagles have slimmer faces, bodies etc. so they can squeeze through the brush faster and run down those wascally wabbits. I've also been told that their ears are usually shorter so they don't get caught on stuff (although Molly has "conformation" ears, i.e. they reach the end of her nose). Oh yeah, Molly runs like a dear also. She's a blur most of the time, and runs circles around poor Franny (our "show" beagle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ). It's amazing how she can be at full speed and change direction without missing a step.

·
Registered
322 Posts
OHHHH!!!! This is so ironic and really angers me. I just want you to know that for the last couple of months I have been meaning to send you a private message about Charlie's avatar. I think this is one of the cutest beags I've ever seen!!!
Whoa, fellow BW friends, I think they are ALL cute and sweet, but for some reason, this one had won my heart!!!

Charlie mom, I have 2 girls. From the same litter. After reading about "field" and "show" beags from these posts, I realize I have one of each. Louise....I fondly call her my "long" dog and Thelma........my hefty "chock a block" baby!
They are from same litter. Came from a field trial breeder. (How they were conceived...the breeders took their females to a field trial...some other pure bred males got to the pure bred female, they didn't know which male) So they were unable to register them. Thelma and Louise were the only survivors of a litter of five. We set out to get one, but on the way, I said, we should get them both, and name them Thelma and Louise.....well...voi la' we have our girls. The point is, Louise is a field trial and Thelma is a show (according to the defs. in the prior post in this thread) I really don't care, my point is, you have a gorgeous baby, and don't let some one who has an ego problem of his own phase you in the least. Louise and Charlie look very much alike. Send more px of Charlie....
Beth, Bill, Thelma and Louise

·
Registered
322 Posts
MAKOcsh: OMG....this sounds EXACTLY like Thelma and Louise!!! Louise can run circles around Thelma & stay on the move ALL the time!! Thelma just watches her.....lets her do all the work ( running around, etc) Your info about field and show beags was really interesting. I've also had people tell me Louise was a mix. (I don't care either) Louise can just turn on less than a dime and doesn't jump, she leaps and is like a feather on her feet! Sleeps with one eye open.....she is my dog A.D.D. girl. Louise's metabolism is like 1000 %! Thelma conserves all her energy for eating and sleeping!!!!!

G

·
I agree 100% with all those who replied before me. I've had 3 beagle (all purebred) and each had cerain charateristics different from the other Many people have asked if my Daisy now is a minature beagle or think she is a puppy, although she will be 2 years on Halloween. In reality she has a genetic disease that has stunted her growth, so just by looking, you never know. As long as your beagles' nose feels right at home in the crook your neck - who cares about anything else.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Charlie is a beautiful beagle, take no notice of idiots like that. You can be proud of your beagle. :wave:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I could have edited this post and changed Molly to Abby and would have fit perfectly!

We paid $200 for Abby and was told by the breeder before we bought her the she was "imperfect" (like I care...aren't we all? :biglaugh: Since she was "unique" looking I had one person ask me if we were sure she was pure-bred...thought they knew it all, but they were wrong. Like MakoCSH said beagles meant for different things look slightly different.

Abby is full-bred...and I have her registration from the AKC to prove it, regardless of what some [ignorant] person questioned about her.

Quote:Originally posted by MakoCSH:
Keep in mind this is some random guy you met that may know nothing about beagles, but fancies himself an expert. Beagles come in a myriad of shapes and colors. Molly is longer and leaner, with a slimmer face, and I thought she was a mix also. Until I met numerous hunters that admired her greately, and assured me (like it mattered) that she was all beagle. Field beagles have slimmer faces, bodies etc. so they can squeeze through the brush faster and run down those wascally wabbits. I've also been told that their ears are usually shorter so they don't get caught on stuff (although Molly has "conformation" ears, i.e. they reach the end of her nose). Oh yeah, Molly runs like a deer also. She's a blur most of the time, and runs circles around poor Franny (our "show" beagle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ). It's amazing how she can be at full speed and change direction without missing a step.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Oh and Charliemom don't worry too much about the food. When I first got Abby I was worried because she didn't really eat like I'd heard other beagles do. We've never really had a problem with her trying to eat all food insight.

She's actually very picky with what she kind of food she eats. She was stuck on Pedigree food for while and would only eat the pieces filled with stuff. I'm so whipped I would buy a big bag (since I knew she'd actually EAT it instead of taking a chance on buying something she didn't eat) and let her just go through and eat those pieces...throwing the rest away. I'm in the process of switching her food, trying to find some she really loves and will eat more of.

I'm able to leave a bowl of (dry) food out all day which I refill whenever it's empty...no set feeding schedule for Abby. I also give her one can of food a day and have treats I give her as additions to her diet, as well as a whatever meat leftovers we have and a piece of bacon when I make it for breakfast /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif but I want her to have a little belly..I thought she looked too scrawny. Even though shes able to eat as much as she wants she doesn't overload and is still slim. Her belly finally started popping a couple months ago /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
I also have sister litter mates and they couldn't be any different. The vet is 99% sure they are all Beagle. Mom was roaming the streets when she was pregnant.
Maggie being a Lemon with green eyes, looks more like a small, yellow lab. Actually people asked me if she is designer Lab breed? She has a longer snout than her sister. Now Jasmine looks like a tri-color with the boxier snout. But Jasmine has a lazy eye, so when she is tired one of her eyes drifts.
Last week when they were at the vets being spayed their other sister was there and she looks even more different. She has a really pointy snout and a really long tail. The vet techs said the sister looks just like the Mom.

Just like every person is unique, so are the dogs...

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much for your support!!!
No doubt about it, he is my baby, I nourished him for 6 months, he was just 12 weeks old when we got him. No, I won't listened to that jerk, I was foolish enough to even get upset.
Thanks again. :wave: :thumbup:

I'll take more pic.

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Rhoda,

Charlie is perfect...forget that guy! Like somebody said, he is too caught up in "the breed standard".

My Henry is pretty beagly but he could be part goat and I would still love him as much as I do.

As far as that guy...nothing worse than a know-it-all.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Charlie Mom, you are completley justified in being upset by what this man said. I would be hurt too. But please don't let it get you down. Charlie is obviously very loved. I agree with everyone that every Beagle is differant, just like people. Charlie is adorable! In Caesars puppy school class there was another Beag that was two weeks older than him and more than twice as big! I too thought that we should feed Caesar more food but the vet said no. She said that Beagles have very healthy appetites and not to force him to eat. (But he's like a little scavenger now eating every crumb and scrap of food that happens to fall on the floor)

Next time you see that jerk at the park just hold your head high, ignore him, and enjoy your perfect little boy!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts