Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting a new beagle friend for my dog Chloe. Is it OK to crate 2 beagles together while i'm gone to work
? My crate is definitely big enough for 2.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sure, as long as the crate is big enough for them both to lay in, stand and even play a little... (not wild play).
Also, make sure that they are both potty trained.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Also, test the water slowly! Toby does not like any dog in his crate with him! It is HIS house!! LOL! With two puppies I can't imagine it would be a problem, but if Chloe has her own crate already, she may not take too well to an intruder.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
IF they get along well, and the crate is big enough, I see no reason not to crate two together. When my JoJo was a puppy, I always crated her with my Chloe (who was otherwise never crated), because it made JoJo more comfortable to have company (while Chloe has never had pups, she's extremely maternal and mothers any puppies born here, I credit her with helping to save Bella's life when she was a puppy and very sick). My two youngest girls are crated together when I'm at work or at night - otherwise Angel is lonely and cries. They're both small beagles, and half sisters, and are inseparable most of the time, so crating them together works well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I'm going to go against the general consensus here and say no.

Crating together can create several problems including stress, over-dependence on each other, fighting, and also remember if one makes a mess in the crate the other will be in it too.

Plus if it is a puppy it is highly likely to bond with the other dog more so than you.

With that said, there is no way to predict if any of these problems will occur or not. However, I tend to err on the side of caution because these issues occur quite often.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I can only speak for my own dogs and from my own experiences - when I got JoJo she was in an extremely busy household - stay at home mom, husband, 3 kids, lots of dogs, cats and other people around. Bringing her into my comparatively quiet household she was very bonded with me - and suffered severe separation anxiety when I wasn't around. I crated her with Chloe when I wasn't home (I worked full time and just came home at noon to let them out and play for a while). I don't think JoJo would be the great dog she is today, if she hadn't had her buddy with her when mommy wasn't home. I'm STILL the 'alpha' here for all my dogs - and there are only 3 (of 9) of them that don't have the run of the house (or at least the basement family room) when I'm gone. Tanna and his 2 daughters aren't allowed the freedom to run loose when I'm not around to supervise. Tanna is just into everything (he's a wild child at almost 5 years old)and Angel is still a puppy (she's a year old) but will eat the house if she's not supervised. Since my daughter and her husband lived with me when Angel was born, Angel wasn't crated much when she was a LITTLE puppy, she was tiny and she had to be bottle fed and supplemented - my son in law carried her around like a baby much of the time - and she does better if she has company. Bella is her babysitter.
Of course it all depends on the dogs and the circumstances, but I still wouldn't hesitate to crate two together. Lisa has good points, but we've never experienced any problems here.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We got our 2 togehter as puppies. So they always were together in the same pen. You would have to be sure that they both got along real well if you are going to put them in the same crate. How about a pen instead?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: Mom of 2 BeaglesWe got our 2 togehter as puppies. So they always were together in the same pen. You would have to be sure that they both got along real well if you are going to put them in the same crate. How about a pen instead?
I have an outdoor pen, but my neighbor is quick to call the township and complain about the neighborhood dogs barking

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a partition for our crate so I was able to split it into 2 compartments
. The crate was big enough so that both dogs will have ample room and they are still right next to each other. I'll leave it in till i'm sure it's safe to allow them to share the crate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts