Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've tried crating my Java for the last 3 months but he's really been ignoring his instincts by pooping/peeing in the crate while I'm at work. He's in there for 4 hour intervals as he's walked during my lunchbreak. Has anyone experienced difficulties when trying to crate train? I have a feeling the uncontrollable pottying is a bit of separation anxiety. He has no problem holding it in at night (for 10 hours)--but he does sleep on a different doggy bed in my room.

Also, he hasn't had consistent good poop for while as it's been mostly soft or mixed in consistency. Do you think it's the diet? He's been on premium puppy food (Blue Buffallo Chicken and Brown Rice).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
How big is the crate? If it is too big, they will learn to pee on one side and sleep on the other (I actually trained mine to do that, put a puppy pad at the front and she slept at the back. She would pee on the pad then roll it in a ball in the corner for me to pick up, it was funny, almost like she didn't want to step on it.

I would be concerned about the diet if it has been that long without a good poop. I know that Spencer is allergic to chicken and wheat so when he gets that, he gets really loose as well, it might be worth switching to something different (different protein source as well).

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm, that's a great point about the possible food allergy Spencer's mum. I'll try lamb or fish and see how that goes.

His crate's not too large--just large enough for him to turn around in it. When I first got Java, he was significantly smaller than the crate, so I'm guessing the habit grew from then.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I would try to change the food and if that doesn't change the consistency, I would ask the vet. No crate answers here, since we didn't crate train.

Java is adorable! Mores pics, please.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Excellent point about the limiting water, Miley's Mom. Henry is an adult and crate trained, but not too long ago he gulped some water at a cookout after playing with lots of kids, but he peed before we came in and I thought he was all right. I crated him to run to the store, and 45 minutes later came back to a saturated crate. Poor baby; he looked so ashamed. Too much water combined with a possible food allergy may be causing these accidents, at least in part.

·
Registered
751 Posts
crate seems to be too big. When you leave him, it should only be enough room to turn around and lay down, until he learns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts