Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we have been doing a lot of reading about crate training and it seemed like it wouldn't be that big of deal, but everything looks good on paper! Leo is great during the day, he actually already likes his crate from what we can see. So far we have never had an accident either. When the crate door is open during the day he is fine, he goes in and out freely and takes frequent naps. At night we try to tire him out before putting him in the crate, but he cries for about 10-15 min before falling asleep. At night when he has to pee, we let him out and try to play a little (it's hard to play at 2 am) and put him back in. He cries when we put him back in the crate with the door closed. He has a blanket with the scent of his litter mates, he has a stuffed animal, kong toy, t-shirt with our smell. We don't know what to do at night when he cries and we want desperately to sleep. Any tips?

·
Registered
147 Posts
We had strict no play rule at night. I would pick him up from the crate, take him immediately outside for business then carry him back up and put him right back in the crate. He's probably getting a little excited from playing. The crying, I know it's hard but it must be ignored! He's still little and it will pass

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
i agree with regal, you have to ignore the crying, also very very recently someone also posted about the crate training if you scroll down you could read up on it, or use the search feature. We've had such a high influx of puppies lately so alot of this comes up and there is lots of GREAT information on here. ignoring is KEY seriously i know its hard but if you dont u'll have a dog that whines/barks/bays/howls every single time their in their crate because they know it'll get u to let them out. its sorta like a little kid throwing a tantrum because their doing something they dont feel so sure about you can't give in, you have to follow through. seems like greyson is the more emotional of the two babes, give him extra cuddles when he's out and about but dont give in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We had the same problem, but after 2 nights Molly gave it up. Now she maybe cries for 20 seconds and thats it. Last night she was so tired, that she didn't get up once.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thanks for the encouragement! I think part of the problem is that we moved the crate into our room so we could hear if he got up and had to go outside. I think that might make him take longer to go to sleep because he knows we are right there. We moved the crate back into the living room (where it was all day yesterday) and he has been sleeping in there this morning. We have also written a strict schedule out for him that we will start. Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Best thing for crate training is to just keep at it. We're still having a hard time with Kenya. She just absolutely hates that thing. What we're currently doing is weening her onto it. We set up a puppy pen that consists of her crate with soft bedding, pee pad, and now a pet bed. The key for Kenya is to allow some space for her to roam around. Whenever we have time at home, we'd lure her into the crate and have her sit or lie down inside it, and keep the crate door open. That way she sees it as a den, instead of a place of confinement. She's had a lot of accidents in the crate, but majority of them was our fault, for not making sure she eliminates before we leave.

The disavantage for us is that Kenya was store bought, hence the tendency to eliminate where she sleeps is more likely, since most dogs from pet shops were confined along with their droppings at puppy mills. But as long as we're patient and keep working with her, the better.

At night, what works is if you lie down next to him while he's inside his crate, and act like you're sleeping. When we did with Kenya, she got the hint that it was sleep time. So she'd eventually lie down and dose off on her own. Also, we set the alarm for every 2 hours, to get up and let her out to eliminate. That system seems to work like a charm.

Good luck....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Why is it that they do so well napping during the day, but we can't seem to get them to go to sleep at night? We're having the same trouble with Grayson. During the day, I'm able to separate them just fine. However, at night, he cries and cries until we put him in the bigger crate with Quinn. Even after we do that, he still cries because he doesn't want to be crated.

I know that's a bad idea, but we'd been sleeping in the living room, on the futon, where we could hear them. Last night, I gave up and made us move back into the bedroom (this is a bachelor's pad....the futon is the only bed he has lol).

Why is it that they are so good during the day but so treacherous at night?

--Steph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts