Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after several lessons from my daughter that crates aren't cruel I did decide to crate train our pup when we brought him home. Now I'm thinking the crate I got him will be too small to last him. If I get him a new crate, should I stick with exactly the same style or is it okay to get something different? (I ask because I don't know if I can get this same crate as I bought it used and haven't seen it in stores - it's an older one)Also, should I go cold turkey with the change or have them both around for a while?
Oh yeah, approx how big will it need to be for a full grown beagle?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! I'm on Jersey's third crate. I prefer using the hard plastic travel variety though. You can get the wire types that come with a divider so it can grow with the dog. I'm going to guess on the measurements since I'm in a different room, but I think her's is about 30-35 inches long by 24 inches tall. However, Jersey is taller and longer than your average Beagle.

And I too used to think crates were cruel until I started training Jersey with one. Does this look like a dog who is unhappy to be in her crate?

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I should add...you don't want too large of a crate for your puppy. Just enough room for them to stand up and turn around. The purpose is to confine them to an area so that they learn to hold it. A dog usually won't releive themselves in the same place where they sleep. The wire types that adjust are perfect for that as you can block off a smaller area now and give them more room as they grow. By the time I discovered those types of crates Jersey was already used to her plastic ones and I didn't want to change her.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It only took one night in the crate for me to be a believer!! (And I thought Winston would be the only dog to ever sleep on his back!!)
thanks for your input. Winston's crate isn't nearly that big so I guess I will be shopping for one soon.
I am using a plastic one right now. I am a bit concerned with it as it is about 30 degrees celsius here right now (don't know the farenheit translation, lets just say HOT) - and I am concerned about the ventilation and keeping it cool enough. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy's crate is 36 x 24 x 27 and I purchased it using the guide on PetSmart's site. It's still a bit long for her, so I have the divider in place to make it a bit shorter. It's perfect in width and height though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
30 Celsius is about 85 Farenheit, I think. You could always try using small fans. You could also keep the crate in a room that is not carpeted, or if there is a room that gets little sun and stays cool in relation to other rooms in your house or flat.

My air conditioner was broken for a lot of this summer (it was getting up past 100F/37-38C where I live), and my dogs had to put up with up to 94F/35C inside my house (during the hottest part of the day) for a day or two when we had no source of cooling except the fans. I understand your concerns all too well!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Last week it hit 103 over here! AC working thanks goodness.
Definately crate training, Charlie loves his crate. Gate closed at night and open during the day. He goes in for his nap when we are out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hoping the lethargy and decreased appetitite is due to heat too? Seems much more active late eve's and early AM's.
Trying to keep us all cool as we can......

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: Winston's MomHoping the lethargy and decreased appetitive is due to heat too? Seems much more active late eve's and early AM's.
Trying to keep us all cool as we can......
That sounds about right; my dogs are still off their food even though they've been in a nice cool house for several weeks. I took the advice of others here and drizzle a bit of warm water onto the food, and that seemed to work. I hope it cools down for you soon. I thought I was a summer girl until I found out how hard it is to live when you're hotter than is comfortable!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts