Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 week old broke my wife's will and we decided to let him sleep in our bed. We are trying to house train him and we are using a crate. When we are gone for work and school he is in his crate and he cries the entire time we are away (our neighbors have rudely informed us). When we are busy in the house we confine him to an x-pen with his crate in it, he eventually ends up sleeping in the crate.

He has a separation anxiety problem, when we did crate him at night he cried throughout the night. This upset the neighbors and upset my wife who also has a stress and anxiety condition, we decided to try him in our bed. He doesn't cry, I wake up in the middle of the night and take him to the bathroom, over the past 2 nights he hasn't had any accidents, and we all less stressed. Our vet is concerned that this will delay the time required for him to become house trained. If he doesn't have any accidents in our bed and we continue to train him to go to the bathroom outside, how can this delay his training? Is there a reason he has to spend the nights of his early life in the crate?

We decided to heed our vets advice and crate him at night, we will just have to find a way to deal with his cries until he adjusts to the crate (earplugs, ambien and cookies for our neighbors!!).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vet says his anxiety is a little higher than most puppies she sees, considering he cries bloody murder when we stand on the other side of the baby gate or x-pen in plain sight. We don't give in and we let him cry, the problem is waiting for him to stop crying so we can acknowledge him again and reward him for being quiet. Our vet told us to SPANK him or spray him with a water bottle if he doesn't stop whining after a couple of minutes!

We've tried the radio, article of clothing and providing toys, which had no effect. We also tried the wind up clock idea which hasn't helped. Our breeder gave us a toy that he had with his litter and mom thinking this might help, but he still cried all night.

If we put the crate in our bedroom, should he be able to see us? We have a small bedroom, he might have to be placed on top of a dresser. I still think he will cry all night regardless, even if we put the crate on the bed!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.