Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abby is doing better in her crate these days, but I'm still looking for more/different crate toys. She gets a Kong with peanut butter in it at least once a day and it keeps her quiet. What else can I give her that would be a more interactive toy?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can't wait for these answers since i am new to this too!

About the peanut butter...at what age did you start giving it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I started using peanut butter about the time I cut out the midday feeding, around 5 or 6 months. I also cut back a bit on the kibble if I give him a kong filled tasty treat.

I usually put in the crate one treat (Usually a stuffed kong), his toothbrush toy (it's a cylindrical chewy toy that is made for flossing and brushing teeth that you can also put doggy toothpaste on) and his favorite toy of the week.

I don't think it matters what you put in the crate, as long as there is someething in there to keep them busy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have a few things for Chloe, although she's not left alone in the crate when I'm not home.
She has several kongs, which I stuff and give her when I go out (PB, cream cheese, veggies, salami, whatever...).
She also has the kong bone which is great and she loves it. There are 2 small holes to stuff.
She gets a fresh nylabone every few days. She loves those!

Apart from that, she has tons and tons of squeekies. The Cuz is her favorite!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You could always try one of those toys that talks when the dog plays with it. I know that Petco sells them and they don't look any more expensive than all the other toys. They are usually balls that when rolled or dropped they say a phrase like good boy or something. We have never needed much as ours tend to sleep when in their crates.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: Rocky is our boyI can't wait for these answers since i am new to this too!

About the peanut butter...at what age did you start giving it?
We've been giving Abby peanut butter for awhile now...I'm not sure if we should have or not (b/c she's still young), but we were desperate since she had really started to hate her crate.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the information.

I usually try to have at least 2 toys in the crate (rubber/squeaky toy & something stuffed/soft) and she could care less. Every now and then I'll hear the squeaky toy squeak or hear her growling at the stuffed toy, but that's it.

She also used to LOVE chewing on her bone (rawhide or puppy nylabone) in the crate but now she just pushes it back out through the bars. She'll only chew on bones if she's on the carpet in the kitchen...

We've tried putting other stuff in the Kong besides peanut butter, but she won't work very hard to get it out and just starts whining.

I'll definitely have to look into the toys that talk. I'll bet she would LOVE that!

·
Registered
605 Posts
My only concern with toys in the crate is that they're very durable. Otherwise, I'd say try whatever you think will make her happy. Plus some good exercise before crate time will almost always guarantee a nap. I used to feel a bit guilty about crating Henry, but heck, he sleeps a ton outside his crate, and in one position most of the time! LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally Posted By: kathy5we give Georgia a stuffy & a bone that has flavored meet in the middle these seem to keep her happy
The bone with meat in it sounds like something Abby would like. Did you buy it or make it yourself? If you bought it, do you mind telling me what it's called and where you got it?
Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.