Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been crate training Abby and, of course, I have some questions for you all...

I knew going in to this (getting a Beagle) that she would be very vocal, and she has not less us down on that fact! :) However, sometimes we aren't sure - is she just vocalizing in general, is she just trying to get our attention or does she need to go outside?

Example: My husband works from home, so he is there to feed her and take her out as needed. Yesterday, however, he had to go in to the office, so no one was home with her as usual. I did go at lunch to feed her and take her out. After work we spent alot of time with her outside her crate because she was alone all day. Eventually we put her in her crate to nap after all that play time. She basically refused to lay down and sleep - she just put her paws on the front door of the crate and barked & whined & howled at us. It was awful! I tried covering her crate but that just made it worse. Finally, we took her out and she did pee, but she ate grass and played before she peed so it didn't seem that it was an emergency.

I hope this post makes sense. We know better than to get her out of the crate just because she's crying but we worry that she needs to go and we don't know it. She does this sometimes during the day when my husband is confident that she does not need to go out, but he can't get her to be quiet and rest. Needless to say, it makes it very hard for him to work.

I'm sure I've left something out so please feel free to ask me questions...I just want to make sure we're doing everything we can for Abby.

Thanks!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Are you leaving her crated all day even when your hubby is home?

I know it is popular to do so in America but if she is crated all day and only taken out for toilet breaks, and sleeps in her crate during the night, just how much time is she having outside of the crate?? maybe that is why she has so much pent up energy?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think the key is that IF you take her out it is to go potty only and immediately put her back into her crate. Our newest Beagle is still learning house manners, potty training, etc.. She is 1 1/2 almost 2 and she does the same thing. She doesn't like her crate much so if someone is home (and they always know) she will try her little tricks. If I am at all concerned that she needs a drink or needs to potty I will take her out long enough to take care of business and immediately put her back. NO PLAY whatsoever. She is beginning to learn it doesn't really work. It's like a toddler that stalls when it comes to going to bed at night. I need a drink, I need to potty, one more story please, etc... Good luck and keep consistent. It will pay off in the end.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Its tough but you have to try to teach your pup the difference between a go outside for a potty break and one for play. When its potty time when my ted was a puppy i'd go outside with him on a leash even tho the yard is gated and found a nice grassy spot and stood there. no moving nothing. ignored him, eventually they get bored and tired of trying to get ur attention and they'll squat and go. Then you give lots of praise and go inside. now if you want to play afterwards STILL go inside and change your demeanor for play time become alittle more animated, no leash, take them out for a romp so that they realize sometimes its not play time, its do your business time. Now we've realized that when he SITS at the door its a i have to go potty and he scratches its a i wanna go chase squirrels You'll also have to pick up small body cues like when the door scratching how desprate is it. Usually if its just to play they'll scratch and if you ignore them they'll lightly scratch again and if you ignore them that third time they'll just find a toy to play with , but my experience has been that when its potty time its a fast furious intense scratching and walking back and forth to the door. Every beagle will have different cues but its good to just analyze body language.

Now as the the crating thing i have been there, teddy wasn't crated till after he was potty trained (weird i know) and i'd worry about that too but take them out ONCE before bed, and thats that. no more till the morning, I know it might sound harsh but they dont like to mess themselves in their den area.

Now.... i spent a good solid month getting up 2 or 3 times a night taking the dog out only to realize i'm half asleep and he wants to play. Dont fall for it! Once i started cutting back to 1 trip, to finally bed at 10, wake up at 8 or 9 he caught on. You'll start noticing their different cries, my ted doesn't bark when he needs to go he whines like a puppy, so i know that he needs to go, whilst i want out of this crate is just loud barking/baying etc. It may take a while but you'll both be intune to eachother and be able to pick up and communicate in nonverbal ways

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Abby is crated all day but she gets plenty of play time during the day and at night. We give her play time at breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, a LONG play time at supper and sometime between supper & bedtime. We have noticed that she tends to fight sleep (like a child), so sometimes she'll cry like she's dying but then within minutes she's asleep. However, we still can't differentiate between that cry and all of the others so it's still very confusing/frustrating.

Since reading your response, beagletails, we have been trying to be more consistent on taking her out to potty and then right back in (when we're not sure what her cries mean). I can't say that I've seen a difference yet, but I'm sure hoping we will soon. :)

Sephly, Abby is starting to gives us cues that she has to go potty when we are playing in the house, and I'm really thankful for that. We are trying to do the same thing as when she cries in the crate...take her out to potty and only potty then right back inside. We'll start trying to differentiate to her the difference between potty and play times by bringing her back inside in between...thank you for that advice!

Now, on to the hardest part...Abby does not care one bit to pee in her crate. She hasn't pooped in there since the first week we had her, but she's peed in there several times (even lately). So, not taking her out during the night really scares me. I know you all are probably going to say that her crate is too big, but it's not. She basically has room to turn around and lay down...she just pees in the middle and lays on it. It's awful, I know, but we really don't know what to do...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I need some advice on a new aspect of this topic...

As I've mentioned earlier in this string, my husband works from home so he is there to take Abby out as needed. (Side note: he has changed their routine a little and her vocalizations have lessened, thank goodness.) I've also mentioned that Abby doesn't seem to mind peeing in her crate if we leave her for any length of time, which is a problem of course.

Now, to my question: Mon-Thurs next week my husband will be out of town. I will go home on my lunch hour to take her out and feed her, but she will be alone each morning & afternoon for 4.5 hours each. We already know that she can't hold her pee that long so I have a dilemma...
Do I leave her in the crate and just keep changing her bedding when I get home for lunch and after work? Or, do I put her in our small bathroom so that she's not peeing in her den, but can instead pee on the floor in there? (we do have pee pads, but she'd rather chew them up than pee on them)

I realize that ideal would be for me to get home more often, but that is not an option. So, I'm looking for the lesser of 2 evils.

I look at it this way:
Leaving her in the crate to pee makes her continue to think that it's okay to pee in there.
Letting her pee on the bathroom floor makes her think that it's okay to pee on the floor.

I just don't know which is worse, or will be harder to fix later...

Help?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
That is a difficult one. Has she ever been left in the bathroom? If not it could be an extra trauma for her and she may wreck havoc in there or on the door. Where do you normally keep the crate? Is there a way you could fence off an area in the room where the crate is? Maybe put paper down in that room and leave the crate door open.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
i'd put her in the bathroom, you can correct the peeing inside the house later on, you really dont want to get her to think its ok to pee in her den area, at this point she doesn't consider the entire house her den otherwise she wouldn't pee there, so i'd stick her in ur bathroom, and you can always work on that later on. IMO

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to both of you for the advice...

Abby had not been in the bathroom before, but I have been putting her in there for short spans of time to get her used to it.

Hopefully this will work!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have to disagree with this. Putting a pup in a bathroom can be a very expensive thing to do. I've heard stories before of the pup chewing the pipes/tubes under the toilet (when bored) and causing an entire house to flood.

I say go purchase a play yard (either for pets/children) and put it around the crate. Remove the door from the crate to allow Abby to come out of her crate and to pee on puppy pads. Or hire a neighbor kid to come over and let her out a couple of times per day, but I strongly suggest some room other than a bathroom if that is your only option.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Beagletails, I know someone who had that experience. They left two adult beagles in the bathroom for a day and came home to a mess. Beagles were inside the tub but water was everywhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beagletails & jassy - thanks for the warning! My husband and I had already thought of that and made sure she absolutely has NO access to the water line behind the toilet or the pipes under the sink (there is no tub/shower in that bathroom).

We left Abby in the bathroom yesterday morning, when we went to church, as a kind of test-run and she did great. I left her there again this morning and am headed home for lunch to check on her. Turns out my husband will not be gone all week and is coming back today so we won't have to keep doing it as we thought.

Thank you ALL, again, for your advice - I can't tell you how wonderful I think this website is!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanted you all to know that for the past few weeks, Abby has been doing GREAT with not peeing in her crate!! She is also starting to sleep through the night! Needless so say, we are thrilled!!

She has had a couple of accidents in the house - pee & poop, but we can most definitely say they were our fault for not paying attention or getting her outside on her normal schedule.

So, things are getting better and I really am thankful for everyone's advice - you guys ROCK!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts