Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buckley is going in his crate! I feel it may be too big (too wide). It comes with a divider which I am using, and have shortened it. It is wide enough that he goes on one side and lays on the other.

It is 36L, 24W, 27H.

He will only be ~20lbs full grown. Should I order a smaller crate? If so, what size?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If you can use the divider to make the crate small - do that! He will grow and will occupy more space in the crate.
My Chloe is 14.5-15 lb, fully grown, 13" beagle. She has a slightly smaller crate, and doesn't go in the crate. If she has an accident in it (very very rare), she sits in the corner waiting for me to let her out.... she won't even lay in it.

He is young and small, give it time.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
If you can use the divider to make the crate small - do that! He will grow and will occupy more space in the crate.
My Chloe is 14.5-15 lb, fully grown, 13" beagle. She has a slightly smaller crate, and doesn't go in the crate. If she has an accident in it (very very rare), she sits in the corner waiting for me to let her out.... she won't even lay in it.

He is young and small, give it time.
So you don't think I should order a slightly smaller crate? I have no problem doing this. Right now it is WIDE enough that he can pee on the left side and sit on the right. The LENGTH can easily be handled with my divider.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am not familiar with the crate and divider system. Is it possible to only allow 1/3 of the crate for him right now, 1/2 when he is a little older and all when he is grown? With 1/3 maybe he would have to lay sideways a little and would keep from having accidents on one side and laying on the other. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
751 Posts
my crate is small, but do not remember the dimensions. For training, it should be room for him to turn around and that's it. So it may be too wide depending on your pup's side. If he has room to go and sit on the other side, sounds too big. Marley cannot stand to be near his pee and poop so this helped us I am sure. We were quickly able to give him more and more room.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have decided to order a smaller crate. He will be 20lbs at most according to the breeder at full grown, so I belie I ordered way too big of a crate.

·
Registered
751 Posts
sounds that way.

Also, if you have trouble with him sleeping in the crate, try putting a blanket over it to something like a little den for him.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We had that problem when Scout was young with the crate being too wide. She could pee on one side and sit on the other. But I felt that even if it wasn't too wide she still would have peed and then she would have had to sit it in. So as she grew she got longer and the width was perfect. With the divider I would have it so she could turn around and that was about it. I had the floor bare. So once she started getting the hang of holding it and understanding that she would have to sit it in if she went, she got better. So when she would go a week without going in her crate I would push the divider back and make it bigger. If she peed, then the divider when back to the previous position. Eventually we got it so there wasn't a divider in the crate. Once she was used to the full size we added her pillow and she has only had an accident once. It was our fault since we put her in the crate to run errands right after she drank tons of water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts