Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If something happened and they had to fend for themselves in the wild, would they survive? If so, how long?

Bloom was very smart, alert and quick. I think she could definitely have survived for some time, though I'm not sure for how long.

I was watching this show on the discovery channel about it. They said that small breed dogs would be the first to go since they would be seen as prey.
Large dogs would form packs and many traits would be bred out and a wild dog breed made to hunt and survive would be created after a long period of time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No, Snoopy wouldn't have lasted. When we got her at 1-1/2 years old she had primarily been contained in a crate. When I took her for walks she was afraid of everything--a rock, a mailbox, unfamiliar people, dogs, fire hydrant, leaf blowing in the wind, etc. She will be five in October and has gotten over those fears. Today I think she could survive a short time but would certainly not know what to do without her pillow, blanket, TV, bed, couch, etc. She is still not agressive enough to fend off any attackers. That would be her downfall in the wild.

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
I think Molly could depending on where she was. She was running the streets and surviving before the shelter took her in. Jake and Andy probably would not, greyhounds have no fur to protect against the elements and can get injured easily.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
I think I have seen this show. I kind of remember the title to be something like. The World Without Humans.

Some of the theories were very thought out while I believe others to be somewhat far fetched in some way but in all the show was very interesting.

I think for the most part beagles would do well as they are hunters. Most all beagles are kind and laid back but also they are one of the most intelligent of the dog species and would use that to their advantage.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not sure if JoJo could or not.
She thinks every animal needs to be her friend and she's quite overly curious about it. If she ran into an animal who didn't look to kindly to her curiosity, that might be it.
She'd con unsuspecting campers and trail hikers into giving her some food and a belly rub, though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not sure about Corey. We're trying to train him to be nice with the ferrets which might lead him to be nice to all small animals. And when we go on our walks he never sees the bunnies. I do cause I don't want to be jerked around if he saw one and tried to take after it but 98% of the time he never notices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.