Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winston dive bombs my hands if there is any chance I might have food in it. He also races to the kitchen in the AM hoping the cat left his food dish out. He also scavenges for anything that may drop from a people. (he doesn't seem to care for onion)
The bag says that a 20lb dog should get 1 2/3 cups per day. He's 'only' 16 lbs so the vet said to go with the 20 lb amt., (although he may eat slightly less than that for now. yeah right..)
Well, he gets 1/2 cup in AM, 1/4cup at noon, 3/4 cup at night. That's 1 1/2 cups right? the difference I use as treats to give him his pills, and other treat worthy events.
I give him a bit less in AM because previously, he never finished breakfast anyway.
Am I feeding him enough?

·
Registered
959 Posts
cobi is down the steps in 30 seconds if not less in the am. I think it's that they haven't eaten in over 12 hours, they've got to be hungry. But jumping up to get food out of your hands is something I am sure you want to take care of....Cobi once grabbed a hamburger right out of my father's hands during dinner, didn't make such a great impression.

·
Registered
443 Posts
First of all - please no
onion - onions and shocolate are toxic and can be lethal to dogs. Second - my Beaglebratz would eat 24/7 if I allowed besides the treats they want.

For grabbing food - try using a very loud & stern EH! when Winston attempts to grab food - and if you have time, turn away at the same time. Hope any of this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie acts hungry often, even though I know she is getting enough food. I even add steamed green beans to give some extra bulk to her meals and make her feel fuller. If you are feeding a good quality food, without a lot of corn and filler and giving what the vet recommends then Winston is probably being fed enough. He just needs to learn the rules about hands.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
One thing I've learned is that Caesar is ALWAYS hungry.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine tends to do a good half-starved act too - whenever I take her to friends I have to be really strict and explain that she definitely does not need filling with scraps! But, just to be sure, has he been wormed?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has been dewormed. I have even seen one that he passed (ewww)He has since had another dose, and haven't seen anymore, but he is getting one more dose in a couple more weeks.
Last couple of days he has started jumping at the counter where his food is kept. Not a pretty sight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts