Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night my puppy (six weeks) started coughing... i was not to alarmed but then at about two this morning he would wake up and start do breath hard like he had a hair ball or something. he would cough and pretty much choke. then he would go right back to sleep like nothing ever happened. he did this three times last night and once while i was getting ready for work this morning. i checked his mouth and made sure he didnt have anything in his throat or stuck in his back teeth and there was nothing. he stays in a crate and there is nothing in there small enough for him to swallow. when ever he was out of his crate i had my eye on him the whole time and he never got into anything. does anyone have an idea of why he is doing this??

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I would advise you to take him to the vet to have them rule out kennel cough, but it sounds to me that he's doing what we call "reverse sneezing" AKA mechanosensitive aspiration reflex.

Reverse sneezing is common among dogs, especially, beagles and doesn't indicate anything is wrong, or that he's choking or suffocating (in case you're worried about that), even though it sounds horrible.

In a regular sneeze, your dog pushes air out through the nose but during a reverse sneeze he's pulling rapidly in through the nose producing something that sounds like a snort, honk sound.

Try rubbing his throat next time he has one of these "episodes" to see if that helps.

No one knows exactly what caused reverse sneezing, although some think it could be related to allergies. On thing I would check though is that his collar is not too tight around his neck...you should be able to stick two fingers between his neck and the collar.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.. i went home at lunch today and he seemed to be doing fine... and so you are possible right on the reverse snease... he does not have a collar he only wears a harness and its a bit to big for him anyway... but thanks again... i have an appointment to get him microchiped friday so ill ask my vet then

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm glad to hear he seems to be doing better. Let me know what happens at the vet on Friday.

Sorry I was so sleepy when you called this morning. I had bad news about Sam our beagle/lab mix yesterday and did not sleep well. He has a mast cell tumor that the vet says is in a spot that would make it impossible to remove the entire tumor. He's my soul mate and it is hard to hear that our little ones get cancer and there is nothing we can do for him but wait. I'm feeling a bit better today, but I spent the day crying yesterday and didn't handle things well at all. Hence, the bad night's sleep.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh thats not good. ya sam is a sweet heart.. and i will for sure let you know what the vet says... but i do think its a reverse sneeze... its the only thing that seems to make sense...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree that it DOES sound like reverse sneezing - however, I would definitely take the pup to the vet to rule out Kennel Cough! I've never seen reverse sneezing in a 6 week old puppy - doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it. I love the fact that some of my beagles rarely have the problem - nor do their offspring. When I got my first beagle, she scared the daylights out of me when she had "episodes". After having so many beagles in and out of my home, I pretty much take them in stride and don't make a fuss.

Here is some information on "Reverse Sneezing".
REVERSE SNEEZE SYNDROME

General Information

Reverse sneeze syndrome is characterized by a series of rapid, loud, forced inhalations through the nostrils, lasting anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. Attacks occur on a sporadic, unpredictable basis.

Dogs usually have the head extended forward and stand still during the episode. Affected dogs appear completely normal before and after the attack. There is no loss of consciousness or collapse, though sometimes the appearance of the dog is upsetting to owners. Many dogs have these attacks throughout their lives.

The exact cause of reverse sneezing is unknown, but it may be associated with sinusitis and other respiratory disorders.

Many believe affected dogs are consciously removing mucus form the nasal passages. In fact, many dogs swallow at the end of the attack. Whatever the cause, the condition is usually not serious.

If the condition appears suddenly in an older dog or if episodes become more severe or frequent, the nasal passages and throat should be examined.

Important points in treatment:

Treatment is not necessary when the episodes occur infrequently on a random basis.

Home treatments that have been reported to be successful include massaging the throat, blowing in the nose, rapidly and lightly compressing the chest.

Sometimes antihistamines will help with frequency or severity of the attacks. You may give your pet _____mg of Benadryl ______ times daily as needed for this. The Benadryl may make your pet sleepy or, rarely, excitable.

Notify the Doctor if any of the following occur:

The severity or frequency of your pet’s attacks changes.

Your pet develops a nasal discharge or a cough.

Your pet’s general health changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts