Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 year old beagle has recently developed a kind of cough that ends in gagging. It will happen once or twice during the evening; he’ll suddenly get up and start hacking. It only lasts a few seconds, nothing ever comes up, and then he’s done and shakes his head and goes back to napping. He hasn’t been around any other dogs, so I doubt it’s kennel cough, and he has no other symptoms. No loss of appetite, and he has great energy for his age. No weight loss either. It’s not reverse sneezing, although he sometimes does that too. Does anyone have experience with this? If he had any other symptoms I’d take him to the vet immediately but he seems otherwise totally fine and happy. I’d appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Neb does that when he's been lying on his back. He's of a similar age (13 in April) but has been doing it for awhile.

One of our now-departed dogs had laryngeal paralysis, and made a weird gagging noise. He had tests to confirm, but it's how we figured out something was wrong as he had no other symptoms at the time. There are videos on YouTube you could use to compare.

·
Super Moderator
5,163 Posts
Oliver does that. He starts coughing and has to get up and walk so he can yack. They vet thinks he has allergy issues combined with "old dog" teeth that probably leak in his throat. Beagles do have reverse sneeze issues too where they sort of honk and can't catch their breath.

·
Registered
Lady the great old hound dog
35 Posts
hmm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 13 year old beagle has recently developed a kind of cough that ends in gagging. It will happen once or twice during the evening; he’ll suddenly get up and start hacking. It only lasts a few seconds, nothing ever comes up, and then he’s done and shakes his head and goes back to napping. He hasn’t been around any other dogs, so I doubt it’s kennel cough, and he has no other symptoms. No loss of appetite, and he has great energy for his age. No weight loss either. It’s not reverse sneezing, although he sometimes does that too. Does anyone have experience with this? If he had any other symptoms I’d take him to the vet immediately but he seems otherwise totally fine and happy. I’d appreciate any feedback!
My Dottie turned 15 in October. She is a pure mess. She does the hacking/gagging. We found out around 13 she has heart problems. She takes a water pill, a heart pill and a pain pill. The hacking doesn't seem to bother her as much as it bothers me. I would take him to the vet to just check since he is 13. She is still as crazy as before; however, we are having difficulty adjusting to her dementia tendencies of wanting to go outside every 2 hours at night to just come back in.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Sorry your dog is having health publems. Have you had the dog checked recently to see the progression of the heart/lung issue? The pain medication might cause some of the confusion. I guess making the dog very comfortable with blankets and a cozy bed might help the sleeping at night if you haven't considered that.
Best wishes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, thank you for your kind words. The medication seems to have keep the progression to slow. I really think I might be she gets lonely. ;) even being at the end of the bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi this sounds like it could be the onset of congestive heart failure. Have a read of the symptoms. My poor dog developed CHF but by the time we recognised the symptoms it was too late.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to elaborate a bit more. A year ago my dog started to develop the said cough. Didn’t think too much of it as she didn’t seem distressed in any other way.

In November Rosie looked to be struggling going to the toilet. Looked like a water infection. I took a sample to the vets and they confirmed it was a water infection and gave tablets & she seemed to be getting better.

mid Dec my poor dogs abdomen seemed to be getting larger and she began panting and heavy breathing. I took her to the vets and they diagnosed CHF. The cough intensified and she was much weaker, although she would still go for a small walk. The real decider was last week she stopped eating her food and would only eat treats, but eventually even the treats didn’t interest her.

Sadly had to put her to sleep on the 4th :(

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'm so sorry @Rhys - RIP Rosie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry I didn’t mean to be alarmist. I can’t but help think had we taken her to the vets when the cough developed then we may have been able to manage the condition with diet/medication.

thanks for the condolences.

Is what it is. She had a good life. The house doesn’t feel the same anymore but it’ll just take time.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I completely understand. I still feel bad about my adult daughter's dog. Her dog and I had a special connection even though not living in my house.. here's her picture. She was a Rot..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Aww...rottie <3 She was beautiful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts