Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mama Beagle stray that we found a home for has heartworms. I'm not surprised. The young couple that took her will have a hard time paying for the treatment. The vet did say Millie is a heck of a stray, a purebred for sure. I know treatment costs vary over the nation; we live in Mississippi and wonder whether anyone knows approximately the cost of treatment here. We took in a stray once who had heartworms and couldn't afford the treatment. My vet said it is possible to give Heartgard to control the heartworms. I read online that the adult worms won't be killed but won't be able to propogate and when the adults eventually die, the dog will be free of heartworms. Could anyone offer advice?

·
Registered
889 Posts
We use Tri-Heart, the generic version of HeartGuard. But I don't know if it can be used to treat heart worms. When we adopted Rocky he had heartworms, but the shelter paid for his treatment and administered it so I'm not sure what the cost was.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wondering, is it worth it to get the topical heartworm preventatives like Revolution. I would be looking at over 100 dollars for the 6 month dose. How do these compare to just taking pills.

Any, any recommendations for taking it 12 months year-round. Or is 6 months okay.?

Thanks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
$100 for 6-months seems kinda high to me. I just bought a 6-month supply of Sentinel for $65 with shipping from allivet.com. If you can get the 12-month supply as it's a better deal.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am currently fostering a Beag that is almost done with heartworm treatment. In what part of Mississippi are you? I can ask the rescue owner if she knows any vets in the area that would give you a break since the dog is a rescue. Treatment nowadays is more lengthy than is used to be. Jake's treatment when it is done will have taken three months- one month of antibiotics, a preliminary injection to kill the weaker heartworms, then the third month he had two final injections to kill all the other ones. The hardest part has been keeping him (or trying to) calm.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think a lot depends on the age of the dog and the heartworm load the dog has.

I could see prices ranging from a couple hundred dollars to $600 or more for a severe case.

Good luck and best wishes!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks so much everyone! We got our Revolution from allivet like Brien and Brodie suggested. The shipping was a little much (we're in Toronto, Ontario, Canada) but was still a better deal than getting it from a vet. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts