Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The walk is one of Cooper's favorite things to do in the whole world. He loves to track, smell, and find lizards while walking around our 1/2 mile block. I like to do this with him because he seems so happy investigating everything, but this is where one of his few vices comes into play. When he sees other dogs on the walk he usually comes unglued. He will howl and bark at the other dog until he can't see them. I have tried having friends over with other dogs and he responds to them fine.

Any strategies or tactics for helping Cooper not to make a scene while out in about in the neighborhood?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Would it help to distract him with a treat? When he starts to come unglued put a piece of his favorite snack in front of his nose?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried that...his two favorite treats hot dog and duck jerky have no effect. I appreciate that suggestion, that was my first thought to since food is a weakness of his any other time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Treaties don't work for us.( this is for walks that he comes coo-coo when seeing other animals)...our beag is 2 1/2 and still does this, and we know it's not an aggressive thing he does, just a more LOOK AT ME HEY LOOK AT ME SAY HI, LETS MEET TYPE OF THING.

(((notice the other dog/s first, I have found jogging helps, with a slight tug come along type thing. or from a distance seeing other dog/s stop dead in your tracks and say stop slight yank again and calm beag down.....or letting your beag know your going in another direction and do so.

It's not a fix all by any means, I just think some beags are more vocal than others and this helps some...did I say some? lol

·
Registered
865 Posts
Toby and Lucky *sometimes* do that! Other times they are all but oblivious. I have always chocked it up to wanting to meet the other dogs, too. Not sure though why they only do it some of the time.

Sorry, no real advice, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in that dept.!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
What about putting Cooper in a sit-stay, looking directly at you - using treats. Don't allow any more leash than what is needed for him to sit-stay right in front of you. When you are walking - the minute you see another dog then stop, either put Cooper in a sit-stay or down-stay, saying Watch me or look at me Then hold the treat right in front of your face when you say that.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts