Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The practice of this is becoming very popular since it would seem that none of the store purchased pet food is safe! I gleaned some info from the local newspaper that offers a book & a website for recipes. "Home-Prepared Dog & Cat Diets: The Healthful Alternative" (Blackwell publishing $42.99)by vet Donald R Strombeck & check the site www.petdiets.com. Also the press offers 2 recipies as follows: Poultry meat & potato diet...(Serving size depends on animal's weight & activity level). 1/3 lb poultry meat (raw weight),cooked. 3 cups potato, cooked with skin. 2 tbl spoons canned sardines in tomato sauce. 1 tblsp veg oil. 1/4 salt substitute (potassium chloride). 4 bone meal tablets(10 grain or equivalent). 1 multi vitamin tablet. Mash or chop all ingredients to desired texture for your pet. (Next post second recipie)!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The previous recipie called for a 1/10th tsp of table salt...but I would reccomend avoiding the potassium chloride or table salt. (Most of the meat called for has enough salt)! Chicken Diet... 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast (raw weight), cooked. 1/2 egg large, hard-boiled. 1/2 oz clams, chopped in juice. 4 teaspns veg oil. 3 bone meal tablets (10 grain or equivalent). 1 multi-vit tablet. (& the same prep)! :thumbup: I make a larger batch with our "old home" version with mixed vegetables & ramen noodles or rice...& you can choose to use any kind of meat or fish, or for beags on a diet use chicken or beef "stock"! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ever since the recalled pet food scare I've been thinking about making Sox and Caesar's food at home. Thanks for the recipe. I'm not sure if I'll actually get around to making thier food but if I have recipes it will be easier.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Thanks..
I've been cooking the chicken(breast with bone in or whole) separately. Debone and bag, freeze them for later use by meal size(doggie meal). The broth I save it for(human use) soup,just throw in any ingredient you like yummy in my tummy.
I'm still mixing the meat with kibbles, I guess until we finish this bag. I'm trying to switch slowly, so their tummy will adjust.
I must admit cooking is a lot of work!
Do I just add in the daily vitamin for supplement?

·
Registered
889 Posts
My wife makes liver cake for our girls it is a great training aid , it even turns the beags nose away from rabbit poop! Boy it must be good.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy our beags will feast this weekend! Deer bones will be on their menu! :hapfac01:

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CM, Pop & I choose to give our hounds their multi-vitamin tablet "as a treat" twice weekly...or more often if needed! But it is very rare that they need an additional "boost"! :thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
We haven't had the food recall problems here in the UK,
My Two eat a complete food but i also give them fish twice a week,Raw mince and i cook up a chicken broth using the whole carcass and what meat is left on it ,I add a few veggies and garlic,Its quite quick and easy,i just bung it all in a pot cover with water and simmer for a few hours,Then blend it so its slightly thicker,When its cooled i put it in containers,freeze some for later in the week and the rest goes in the fridge,i serve it with their complete,they adore it,
I also make liver cake from time to time,that always goes down a treat !!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've never heard that Garlic is Toxic to dogs although of course anything given in too large a quantity will cause more harm than good.

A small amount of garlic added to food is recommended to keep fleas away and works well.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Ever since I started mixing chicken and hamburger meat sometimes salmom in their kibbles...I can almost smell something from Charlie's saliva, I can not describe the odor, fishy smell. Or it is my imagination?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:

A small amount of garlic added to food is recommended to keep fleas away and works well. [/QB]
I feel it works well for keeping fleas and worms at bay,I know alot of people that give their dogs a piece or two of garlic a week.Or garlic capsules,
I frontline them once a year,and worm them a couple of times a year and use the garlic the rest,I don't like to use too many preparations for fleas and worms on them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've been giving dogs brewer's yeast & garlic tabs daily for years, and they've never had any ill effects. It does help with fleas, and the one I give also has omega-3 fatty acids which really makes their coats shine.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My vets actually sell garlic capsules to help keep fleas away, although they cost a whole lot more than buying them from the supermarket /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif they see us coming these vets sometimes don't they!!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Garlic is in "the onion family" & is on the "no-no list"! But a very small amount (to add flavour) is safe! (If it were not...Goober would not be the healthy & active seniour beag that he is today)! :thumbup: (Garlic reduces bad cholesterol in humans...& it,s a safe bet that a tiny amount of it has the same effect on our dog,s)! :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts