Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recipe for dog cookies, I like to make them at Christmas and give to my dog friends. I'd like to decorate them this year. I have heard you can make yogurt icing for them. Does any one know any thing about that? Or have a recipe for it?

Thanks.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I buy yogurt chips, melt them down in the microwave and use them to ice with. I've also bought candy molds and done the same thing to make Valentine's Day candy for Jersey's friends at day care. You've got to be careful when you melt the chips. I do about 15-20 seconds at a time, check, stir and repeat. You don't want to over heat it or it will get too thick. I bought a couple of clear plastic bottles to put the yogurt in after I melted it and then squeeze it onto the tops. Do the outline first then fill in the middle. You've got to work kind of quick as the yogurt sets quickly. I do a small amount at a time so that I use it up before it gets too cold. Keep a bowl with hot water to close by and set the bottle in there when you're not working with it. Instead of the bottle you can also use a regular icing bag with a writing tip but that gets messy sometimes. Hope that helps you. I'm not sure I explained it too well.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jen, but, where do I find yogurt chips? At a health food store or a natural foods store?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have bought them at the health food store and my local candy store. I also tried the ones they sell as treats at the pet shop but those didn't want to thin out too well.

Oooohh, that's another thing. You can add a small amount (I used just the tip of a teaspoon) of regular Crisco shortening to the yogurt as you melt it to keep it smooth. It makes a big difference.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I should warn you...my first attempt at this was a disaster. It took a few tries to get it right. You may want to practice on wax paper or something before going for the cookies. Unless you are already familiar with icing regular people cookies, but that was something I had never tried.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would agree with Jen that this is a difficult task. You could also buy carob chips at the health food store or unsweetened peanut butter chips. The carob is VERY difficult to get to the right consistency and I can say that we are still working this out for our dog bakery cookies. I haven't put it on the menu yet until we do get it right. Good Luck!!

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I did Google it, and everyone said that carob was hard to get to the right consistancy. Some one used butter and soy milk and got it fairly good.

I have decorated people cookies in the past. So, I have some experience there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We actually don't use butter in any of our recipes to keep them low fat, but we did find that skim milk in a double boiler works to a point. Still haven't gotten it to a perfect consistency for writing, or line decorating, just dipping.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
....i dont know >.< now i'm confused lol i THINK their yogurt chips....I have a HUGE bag of white looking chocolate chips, which we give to the sugar gliders and hamsters as a treat only about once a day tho if at all (the vet said its like eating a king sized snicker bar) ...maybe their yogurt flavored treats??? dunno...comes in a purple and white bag...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts