Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just moved into our first house and are thinking of getting a pair of beagle bitches. Previoulsy we lived with a pair of jack russell bitches, which we took part responsibility for. We walked them daily, and other tasks therefore we are not new to caring for dogs. We want to buy some puppies of our own and did not want to get jack russells, however with little knowledge of beagle behaviour we were wondering whether this was the right choice. My partner works full time and is able if needed to come home for lunch, i myself attend university 3 days a week from 9am till about 3pm. The two jack russells that we used to care for used to keep each other company when they were left alone, and we were wondering whether this would be the case for beagles, or would they become distressed?
Any behavioural tips would also be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! I heard that Jack Russels were very hyper, is that true?

We got 2 Beagle puppies together, a boy and a girl. They are a lot of work and joy. Yes, they keep each other company and play and wrestle and chase and sleep and cuddle together. When they are puppies they are double trouble though. They get into trouble together. They needs lots of exercise when young to burn their boundless energy. Puppy training classes are very helpful to train you the human on how to train them. Overall, we are so happy that we have our 2 Beagles. Ours are 7 years old now.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave: I can't really give advice on getting two puppies at once since we've never done that. However, we do have a beagle and 3 other dogs, and a calico cat. They do keep each other company when we're not around, and we haven't had problems with separation anxiety.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Welcome :wave:

You certainly have come to the right place for beagle advice. There are many beagle lovers who are willing to share volumes of advice on the beagle. I have never had 2 puppies at the same time but I do have a beagle and 3 other dogs. The dogs are great company for each other although I have to pick up dog toys when I get home as they have emptied the basket during the day.

Having more than one means twice the expense and twice the patience on your part but you also receive twice the lovin'. It sounds like they wouldn't be left alone for extended periods of time during the day and for puppies that is great !! the sooner that potty training is complete the better !!

I wish you luck in your search but I would recommend beagles to anyone.

Julie

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome!!!! Well we have two beagle girls who are littermates. They are very amusing. We've in the past have had german shephards, a lab, and still have a terrier/basset hound mix. I actually have to say these beagles have such funny personalities.

We cage the girls in seperate cages when we leave to go to work. I think its their down time from each other. Most of the time they are alone from around 7:30 until about 3 and they do fine. No neighbors have complained of hearing crying or barking. They do play at times like they are going to draw blood, but once one of them cries they stop. Or sometimes I'll shush them and they keep it down.... We've had them since they were 2 months old and they are now 7 months old. So we are just starting the teen years.

Well I hope this helped you and like everyone else has said its twice the work.... :wave:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies but we do have some more questions! We've heard beggles are destructive and chew, is this true? We've also heard that when they get a scent they tend to wonder. We was hoping to be able to let them off their leads when we go a walk but dont want to loose them! And when we used to take our jack russells a walk they used to just follow us without us having to cox them all the time. With time and training would beagles tend to do this or do you always have to have them on a lead (leash)?

·
Registered
390 Posts
In answer to your first question, any dog can be destructive and chew. My boys are big chewers but we just give them very strong bones and they cherw away on those. Of course there were times as puppies that they got something that they shouldn't have!

I don't let my dogs walk off leash because if they don't want to listen they won't and the walk would become too stressful for me! We do let them out front of the house and they just wonder around.

Beagles are wonderful dogs and they provide endless love and are FUN! We have two and they are best friends. They are 3 years in age apart, so I can't comment on getting two at once.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The beagle breed has hundreds of generations of selective breeding as a scenthound. Key traits included working together (Beagles rarely are aggressive or fight) and independent thinking (Without the aid of a human like most herding breeds).

The good thing is that their pack will include each other and Rach and Scot.

The more serious thing is that independent breeding means the evaluate on their terms commands. Do the beagle recall or continue following the scent is evaluated in their beagle brain and scent hunting instinct is very, very strong!

In the past, when the only threat was a horse drawn wagon, a brace or more of beagles could head to the hills (Their safety from predators insured because they stayed together as pack) and find their way home when the pack's sniff adventure was over but in the modern world, cars and the sprawl of humanity mean most beagles cannot enjoy that bucolic lifestyle.

Speaking of beagle thinking, it may not ranked high in the conventional dog breed intelligence rankings that reward the “mindless” herd dogs like Border Collies that behave on cue from their handlers but IMHO a beagle’s problem solving abilities are tops in the canine world. If you read some of the recent posts you’ll realize that this includes getting toys and greenies out of unattended but unopened packages, extracting roasts from crock pots, foiling attempts to preclude beagles from areas and sofas, etc...

Beagles are wonderful companions but off-leash, except when in an inclosed area, is probably a just a dream for most beagles.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
As a breeder, I never agreed to sell 2 pups to the same person, nor do I agree to sell a pup to a family that already has a pup at home. My reason are as follow:
1- it is very difficult to educate 2 pups. All it takes is for one to do something you rather he would not have done and strangely enough, both of them will do it. Why on earth do bad habits/behaviours pass on from one pup to the other so much easier than good ones? I don't know but I can assure you that it is true.

2- it is far more difficult to obedience train 2 pups than one, even when the wife train one and the husband train the other one. The truth is that 2 pups cling together and do not get the same benefit from obediance training classes, as they fix their attention on eachother instead of exercises their curiousity and focussing on the other people, the other dogs and what they are doing. Furthermore, when at home, it is far more difficult to insist on both dogs to sit before they get their leash on, before going outside, before they get their food... And given the fact that if one wants something, the other one will too...

3- it is more difficult to socialize 2 pups than one. This is once again because they tend to focus on each other rather than on what is around them. Also, people are less likely to approach 2 dogs than one.

4- it is more likely for 2 pups to become hyper than one, as most of their game will be puppy game, that is running after one another, chewing on each other, jumping on each other and grabbing and pulling on what the other has. It is more difficult for 2 pups to realise that people are not puppies and that they cannot play with them by grabbing human body parts, pulling on clothing, jumping on people, and even run around the coffe table where Mom just put the nice crystal waiting for some guests.

Having said that, with the right mind, the right amount of energy, the right attitude and a wonderful sens of humor, one can have 2 pups at once. But it definitely takes some very special owners with a lot of time and committment. This is definitely not the majority of us, and for these reasons, I believe that any responsible breeder should be very reluctant to place 2 pups in the same home at the same time. My advise has always been and will remain to get one pup first, and once well adapted, get the second one. Just my thought...

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sounds like Cheerio has given some very good advice.

If you want two beagles straight away, why not take rescue adults? We adopted a 5 year old male and a female (neutered) nearly a year ago, . They adore one another. Both were rescued from research .

However, if you are determined to get pups then I agree with cheerio that it would be easier to get one at first and the other later.

Having experience with Jack Russels will help, as they are also stubborn little dogs with a hunting instinct.

We would never let our beagles off the lead outside of a safe area, once on a scent they hear nothing and can get lost or killed.

Beagles can be destructive but so are a lot of other breeds. Beagles are loving, full of fun and stomachs on four legs!!
Good luck whatever you decide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.