Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there -

We're considering adoptions a 5 year old beagle boy named Max, and could use some advice on whether or not he's a good match for us.

We went to see Max today and he seems very healthy and clean. He was full of energy of course and a bit freaked out - but that's not surprising considering he's been in a kennel for 6 weeks.

He's a pretty good sized dog - and strong! He could pull me around with ease and I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to keep him safe when we go for walks, etc. Physically he is much stronger than me. Is it possible to train a beagle at this age?

We have a fenced in garden for him to play in and I work from home, which seems good for the separation anxiety. Also, my partner will be home some days - and I think the two of them will get along great, Out and about, doing stuff.

Some days will be just me and the dog though - and I"m often on work calls. I'm wondering if he'll be able to calm down enough while I'm on calls for work?

I know every dog is different, but would love to hear some thoughts (good and bad) about us and Max.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Welcome
Nice you're considering getting an older beagle. It sounds like your conditions are perfect to have a beagle. Definitely a fenced yard since they will run after something and follow their nose..and the fact that youre home..
I would suggest limiting his freedom in the house until you figure out and mischief he'll be in to.
At this point training is very important.. talk to the dog a lot using the same command words. I highly recommend getting a training Clicker at the petstore or on the internet. Its a great training tool. You can watch YouTube videos on how to use one. The clickers might look a little different but the concept is the same. The sound of the clicker is the reward for following your command. ..in lieu of constantly giving treats.
Beagles do have a lor of energy and are pullers on a leash.. get a good harness.."The Perfect Pace" is one you can buy on line.
Make sure the dog is checked by a vet and has the required vaccinations.
Please keep us posted and post pictures.
Cassie says Hi
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

Body jewelry Rectangle Material property Font Magenta

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome
Nice you're considering getting an older beagle. It sounds like your conditions are perfect to have a beagle. Definitely a fenced yard since they will run after something and follow their nose..and the fact that youre home..
I would suggest limiting his freedom in the house until you figure out and mischief he'll be in to.
At this point training is very important.. talk to the dog a lot using the same command words. I highly recommend getting a training Clicker at the petstore or on the internet. Its a great training tool. You can watch YouTube videos on how to use one. The clickers might look a little different but the concept is the same. The sound of the clicker is the reward for following your command. ..in lieu of constantly giving treats.
Beagles do have a lor of energy and are pullers on a leash.. get a good harness.."The Perfect Pace" is one you can buy on line.
Make sure the dog is checked by a vet and has the required vaccinations.
Please keep us posted and post pictures.
Cassie says Hi
View attachment 42431
View attachment 42432
Thank you so much for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
5,295 Posts
I agree with Cassie, your situation sounds great for a beagle. I have a pretty powerful beagle, he's 47 pounds, and we rescued him at 6 years old (he's 12 now). A training class would be helpful for you, we learned a lot about walking and controlling our dogs in a basic manners class held by the shelter. There are things that can keep the dog busy if you are on a work phone call such as a Kong toy stuffed with peanut butter or a food related puzzle toy. Let us know if you bring him home! Be sure to check your fence for any places a beagle can escape, they're smart!

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is so great that you can adopt a beagle. Agree with all said above. I think training classes, even online if you cant attend in person are worthwhile as Molly’s Mom suggests. It will help you bond and strengthen that you are alpha. Plus you will learn “dog speak” what our actions and voiices are really telling them!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Is it a particular dog or just beagles in general you're after?
Keep in mind that you should start at square one like the dog is a puppy until you see how they behave or listen to you. It will take time and focus.. all that said..they are great dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts