Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a beagle pup. I need help in understanding how to know we have chosen the right and ethical breeder. For example how many times he had a mother to deliver a litter and so forth?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
How old are the parents? They should, in my limited experience, be at least around 2 years to have fully matured.

You'll want to ensure they're health tested - I'll be honest, someone else should be the one to chime in on what tests.

Do the parents and puppies get a lot of face time/socialization? How are they raised? How many litters does the breeder produce a year? And yes, how many times is the mother bred?

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Ask if the breeder can provide the appropriate documents to validate the lineage. Also be concerned if the breeder wants you to take the puppy sooner than 8 weeks which is the standard length of time a puppy should stay with the mom.
Hope you stay on the forum when you get your puppy.

·
Super Moderator
5,120 Posts
Ask what vet they use and see if you can see some vet records on the parents and pups. I agree with Cassie, if they ask you to take the pup before 8+ weeks that's a red flag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts