Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit concerned about Jersey. I've been researching and researching canned food lines. I found what I thought were some dependable ones, including Chicken Soup. They claim that they can thier own food and don't use Menu and that they have human grade ingredients. It was one of three brands I bought to try out. I started her on it with her Monday dinner. She seemed to like it and gobbled her food right up. That night she threw up at about 11:30, about 5 hours after she ate it. She had picked something up out back when she went potty, so we weren't sure what made her sick. The next day I gave her rice and chicken and she was fine, so I tried the Chicken Soup food again for dinner. She held it down, so I chalked the vomiting up to whatever she picked up outside. That was Tuesday.

Wednesday is Aunt Mary day. I brought her food over for her breakfast. My aunt fed it to her and she threw it right back up. That was the end of that! I threw the can away when I got home. The next day it comes out that they recalled some of their foods. The variety I fed her was not on the list, but still, now I'm concerned. Wednesday night, Thurdsday and Friday, she ate this brand called Spots Stew. They are packaged here in Tampa locally. Actually just a few miles from where I live. I felt OK with it. No Menu foods, no gluten, no rice protein concentrate, etc. She was fine until this morning when Mike fed her. He called me at work to tell me she threw up again! No more of that food now either. We'll stick to chicken and rice on the dry Innova. No vomiting with that.

I called my vet and have an appointment for her on Monday. She is fine otherwise. No diarrhea or loose stools. Everything is nice and firm in that department. Her activity level is normal. She was running around playing like a maniac this afternoon. If anything, I would say she's more energetic than normal. I hope everything is OK with her. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'll have them do some blood work on Monday just to be safe.

I just wanted to get that out. It's bothering me, even though my gut instinct says she's fine. I could use some reassurance here though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
439 Posts
ok, go to the vet to be totally sure ok. im thinking its from switching up her food w/o a gradual change over. maybe her belly just didnt agree with it. personally, if theres been some recalls, i would avoid that product line until all recalls are safe and sound.
i wouldnt worry to much is she seems back to normal on her regular food.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jen -- It sounds to me like Jersey got rid of the nasty stuff. Trust your instincts -- I don't think she would be running around, etc. if she was a victim of bad food. To reassure yourself, a visit to the vet sounds in order -- lab tests should show how her kidneys are doing. Hugs to Jersey (if you can catch her)!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick, I thought about the sudden change as well. That line has a lot of high protein, heavy ingredients in it...duck, salmon, turkey...Jersey isn't used to that type of food. Innova has a much lighter formula. And trust me, there will never be another product made by Chicken Soup in my house. Even after the recalls settle and things improve.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When in doubt, do what you're going to do, get her checked by your vet. I'm kind of leaning towards the sudden change of food as the reason for the vomiting. None of our dogs have sensitive tummies, but some do. Bocephus, one of our Bridge dogs often had problems with food changes, etc.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judy, Jersey thanks you for the hug. She's calmed down now and is happily lounging at Mike's feet while he watches TV. I'm not all too worried, most of what she ate came right back up anyway. I'll know for sure on Monday. I should have a baseline blood work-up done anyway to compare to for any future issues. Ooops! Now I've got a Beagle resting on my leg. That's one bad thing about the laptop. When I sit on the couch using it, Jersey likes to rest her head on it while I'm trying to type. :doh:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realize I wasn't clear in the amount of canned food she's getting. She gets her Innova dry kibble with about a tablespoon of canned on it just for flavor. Same with the chicken and rice...just a tablespoon of it mixed in with the dry. So all in all she's only had one tablespoon of the Chicken Soup that didn't come back up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
jen

sounds like shes gonna be just fine. you know the rule of thumb around here, when she gets back from the doc, post the report please. :thumbup:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Jen, I also feed my girls the Innova (small bite) adult dry food and once a day they get a tablespoon of either Natural Balance or Innova canned food mixed in. I was giving them the "Chicken Soup" Puppy food, but I was finding they really had alot of gas.

Try the Innova food with the Innova wet food, maybe that will help her stomache.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm sure it was just her tummy not being used to the new food. Please let us know what the vet says. Lots of love to Jersey!

Jenn & Lucky

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, sometimes they just get upset tummies! Don't be so quick to fault your choice of dry food topping. Bagel says Jersey is a lucky beagle to have such a caring human. Most trips to the vet are just to reassure us are babies are OK. Don't fret and do tell us when you get the good news.

BTW: The Bagel and I have a weekend ritual where we go to McDonalds and I buy two Sausage & Egg McMuffins, and the Bagel gets the eggs, I get rest! He has always been fine with the that until Saturday when about two hours later (90 miles and a bumpy dusty road) after our breakfast, he reguritated the eggs. He had been out of the van attacking the critter holes (digging up a storm) when he stopped, walked about 4 paces and up came the eggs. I do not think it was the eggs as much as something else but it sure upset his tummy! Three minutes afterwards, he was back to digging up critter holes and acted normal all day! I watched him like a hawk all weekend but whatever had troubled him didn't return. Canines are good at getting rid of troublesome things they have digested. I suspect Jersey was just being a good canine /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
540 Posts
Jen,

See my reply under the pet food recall where you posted about this issue. Purina Pro Plan weight management turkey and vegetables is great, full of chunks of turkey, green beans and other veggies and has lots of gravy. I think I heard about it a long time ago on the meetup forum from Vinney's dad...not sure though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. The vet seems to think it was just the sudden change in her food. I had him run blood work just to be cautious. He'll call me with the results tomorrow. She's fine otherwise. Happy, very active, poops are nice and firm. I'm done with canned food altogether. At least until everything settles down. Then I'll go back to the Innova canned she was always getting and did just fine with. Until then, I'll keep up the small amount of chicken and rice I put on her kibble just to get her interest. I'll post the bloodwork results when I get them tomorrow!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good to hear Jersey's most likely okay. The recall has everyone on edge since it seems as if a new food is recalled every week nowadays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts