Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter from our vet clinic, recommending on a new flea product. It's called Comfortis (spinosad).

Has anyone hear of it? Knows if it's good? It comes as pills that you give once monthly.
From what I could figure out it only protects against fleas, so I'm a little hesitant on getting it.
Frontline plus works just fine for Chloe against both fleas and ticks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've never used it but a friend of mine uses it for her Shitzu. It has been very helpful for her pup.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Our new pack member, Bebe is on Comfortis. I had her in for a check up yesterday and asked about it. They think highly of it. I walked out with a six-pack of Heartguard Plus and a six-pack of Comfortis... 3 months supply for two dogs, and none of it's cheap. I still have six Frontlines that I'll use up on Sadie before I switch her over.
Comfortis isn't for tics, but we found one on Sadie a while back and she was on Frontline Plus. The problem with any of these products is that the bug has to bite the dog for it to kill the bug.

Next time, I'll order it all from this place!

I just looked and everything's about 25% less!
Bebe's breeder told me it was the place to get an omega-3 suppliment that she gives her dogs. (Canine Shine)
KV Pet & Equine

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally Posted By: Karebru
Comfortis isn't for tics, but we found one on Sadie a while back and she was on Frontline Plus.
I've only been using Frontline plus on Chloe, and I only use it during the mid-spring to end of summer. Never found one tick on her, but she is mostly indoors, and only when we go to the park she has the opportunity to get them. From what I've seen the park is fairly well treated for parasites, so I don't worry too much about it.

I know what you mean though, it's always better to check them after visiting those places.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll wait and see until I get more reviews of the product before I switch her over. All that preventive stuff is so expensive, I can't really afford throwing money without being as sure as I can.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally Posted By: Karebru I walked out with a six-pack of Heartguard Plus and a six-pack of Comfortis...
Bruce -- Heartgard comes in a generic. I read about it on-line and then asked the vet about it -- he had it -- seems that, unless you ask, it is not offered probably because generic is so much cheaper than brand name.
Re Comfortis -- I had asked the vet about it when I saw it on his shelf for the first time. Was told that some dogs have upset stomachs/vomiting after the first couple of doses but that goes away. The vet was so careful about products that I am certain he would not have stocked it if he wasn't confident that it was a good product.
Check out: Pet Supply Express I ordered Maggie's Advantage from there after doing a lot of internet searching. It takes about 3-4 weeks to arrive so you have to plan ahead but that is the only downside. No prescription needed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Totti goes for his annual checkup at the end of the month, I'll be sure to ask my vet about Comfortis!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:I had asked the vet about it when I saw it on his shelf for the first time. Was told that some dogs have upset stomachs/vomiting after the first couple of doses but that goes away.
Yeah, I guess it's pretty common because there's instructions on the package that tell you to give them another dose if they vomit within an hour, or something. After an hour they're supposed to have already absorbed it in to their system and don't need another dose.

Sounds pretty harsh… I'm just trying to get away from topical stuff. Seems like there's never a good time to apply it. We're really touchy-feely with our pets and always end forgetting we applied it, and end up getting it all over ourselves. At least Karen and I are flea free too.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My friend uses it on her Boxer, Chance, and it works great. It's the only thing that works for her. Chance is highly allergic to fleas and she tried all of the topical ones with no luck. Poor boy was so uncomfortable until she got the Comfortis. Within a week his fleas were gone and so was his itching. She was concerend though becuase one of the side effects she had read about was seizures, and Boxers are already prone to them. She discussed it with her vet and he was comfortable enough with the product to go ahead and reccomend she try it. She's known her vet for years and trusted his opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts