Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to run this by everyone and see what your opinions were. When we leave our pups alone I usually take off their collars. I figure they are inside and getting out shouldn't be a concern. However, there's always that chance an emergency could come up. My question is, is it safe to leave them in the house with their collars on? I guess I'm just paranoid about them getting caught on something and hurting themselves.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I take off Chloe's harness when we're home/she's home. The sound of the tags is driving me crazy, and I don't like the mark it leaves on the coat.

The safety of it all, makes sense completely, and if you don't see how they can get out of the house - I don't see any reason of having the collars on them.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy wears her collar all the time. I have a flat ID tag on her so there's no jingling sounds. My dachshund also wore his collar all the time, and we never had problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I keep Charlee's collar on all the time except for when he's in his crate. I actually like the jingle of the tags because then I know where he is. Just like toddlers....when they are quiet, it usually means trouble!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Our dogs only ever wear a collar for walks. I have a friend whose dogs were playing, one's mouth got caught on the others collar and the dog choked to death. Collar safety is a big issue and more dogs die through collar strangulation than most people realise.

No collars in this house!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I used to leave Jersey's collar on her all the time but recently started taking it off when we're inside. I don't like the mark it's making on the fur around her neck. Like Aleisha, I have a flat tag that goes right onto Jersey's collar, so there's no jingling sounds, I just want the collar line on her neck to go away.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jerseyI used to leave Jersey's collar on her all the time but recently started taking it off when we're inside. I don't like the mark it's making on the fur around her neck. Like Aleisha, I have a flat tag that goes right onto Jersey's collar, so there's no jingling sounds, I just want the collar line on her neck to go away.
I hate that collar line too! Before we learned about collar safety my Siberian Husky used to wear his all day long and it made the worse collar line in his fur. It literally took months to get the kink out of his coat!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The flat tag is great, but in NY, the law is to have the dog wear his city registration tag and rabies tag. Since they don't make THOSE flat as well.....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyThe flat tag is great, but in NY, the law is to have the dog wear his city registration tag and rabies tag. Since they don't make THOSE flat as well.....
You can get a rubber cover to go around the edges of them to keep them nice and quiet. Best $1 I ever spent.
I wish they would make them flat to put over a collar. Or at least a way to rivet them to the collar.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I leave Menolly's on all the time, but I'm starting to wonder about it. When she's outside in the backyard, she likes climbing onto of the air conditioner (ours is on the ground). Twice now her tags have gotten caught, giving me a real scare. I don't want to take her collar off and then have her bolt out the front door. (she's not microchipped yet) But then I hate it when she gets caught.

The only thing I can think of is put a flat peice of plywood over the top. (we never use it anyway; we use our swamp cooler)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I leave Cobi's collar one, and as much trouble as he gets into, I need to hear those tags. Although I don't like the dark coloring that it leaves on the front of his chest, I've taken clear fingernail polish and coated the tags with it to stop that part. Have to repeat it every 6 months...but it's worth knowing where the little guy is, if you know what I mean.

Cathy J
7 days till Casie arrives.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyThe flat tag is great, but in NY, the law is to have the dog wear his city registration tag and rabies tag. Since they don't make THOSE flat as well.....
You can buy a collar called a break away collar which will come apart if it gets caught on something - that way you can leave his tags on him, but he's safe from choking

http://www.breakawaycollar.com/

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of your input! I also dislike the kink it makes on their coat. Not to mention, when we first got Daisy she had NO hair on the underneath side of her neck. It's finally growing back in and I figure the more I keep the collar off, the faster it will come in completely.
I'll be checking out that break away collar too, thanks!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts