Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while ago, Josie was on the floor chewing on her nylabone when my wife dropped a cocoa puff on the floor. Josie, in stealth beagle fashion, swooped in and ate it up... Now my wife is freaking out and not believing me that she'll be fine. Can anyone confirm, that even with all of it's chocolaty goodness, one Cocoa Puff will do Josie no harm?

Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
One Cocoa Puff will not hurt her. I remember when Maggie was a pup my daughter called me at work and asked if a chocolate kiss would hurt Maggie. I asked if she was sure it was only one and told her Maggie would be fine. There was a long pause at the other end of the phone and then she said How about the foil it was wrapped in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
One Cocoa Puff is not going to hurt her
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys... Like I said, I wasn't worried, but my wife was looking for some reassurance from some experts... Good news, Josie made it through the night! Not so good news, she's showing a whole new interest in the cupboard where we keep the cereal...

Thanks again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Murphy and Summer chowed down on 1/2 a bag (~1/2 lb) of chocolate morsels once, we called the vet immediately freaking out. Chocolate is bad for dogs but only in large quantities, ours situation was large, but not large enough considering there were 2 dogs involved. They survived.

So no, 1 Cocoapuff will not hurt your dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
Originally Posted By: Joe BeaglesMurphy and Summer chowed down on 1/2 a bag (~1/2 lb) of chocolate morsels once, we called the vet immediately freaking out. Chocolate is bad for dogs but only in large quantities, ours situation was large, but not large enough considering there were 2 dogs involved. They survived.

So no, 1 Cocoapuff will not hurt your dog.
Ditto, it also depends on the size of the dog.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,249 Posts
I agree that it is not a problem. Its not chocolate anyway! I think the danger would be actual chocolate, especially like a rich (real) candy bar or something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Is there even real chocolate in Cocoa Puffs? I was always told keep Bakers Chocolate away as that is a pure form of chocolate. All the other stuff is watered down chocloate. Its always better though to be on the safe side....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
i second wat Randyc says, she probably coulda eaten the whole box and personally i wouldn't be too concerned. Now Dark chocolate or any sort i'd be alittle stressed out about.

Cocopuffs are mostly chocolate flavor aka not real chocolate just chocolate smelling (70 percent of taste is smell, i'm told) and somewhat tasting syrup.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Well technically, I don't know if I would be considered expert but I have a lot of real world hands on experience over the past few years, all thanx to my Beaglebrat, Shiloh. No, I have never GIVEN him any kind of chocolate but being as how I am a chocoholic, he manages to find chocolate. I have learned in the past few years it MUST be kept behind a door or in the fridge or else he is gonna find it. Sometimes I do forget or get in a hurry - the most recent time was just last nite. I had taken Beaglebrat Shasta for a walk - we were gone MAYBE a half hour. At home, in a plastic bag on the kitchen table - totally covered by a rain coat, was an unopened package of Hostess Ding Dongs. Well, when I got home - the package wrapper was torn and on the floor - the plastic bag was on the floor and I was left feeling like a ding dong.
Oh yea, he's ok - never did throw up.
A couple of years ago, a friend of mine made me a small bundt type chocolate cake for my birthday - about 8 inches in diameter. Silly me put it on the kitchen table - in the middle with no chairs around but when I got home (we had gone out for dinner), the plate the cake was on - was on the floor, minus the cake. Can he fly I wonder - maybe do like a helicopter and hover over his target in order to inhale it? I did call the vet on this but they all know us plus I know hydrogen peroxide works wonders at getting a dog to upchuck - I just did that and watched him like a hawk for a day - no lasting effects.

I gotta get bak to work........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
You'll be fine unless Josie says I'm cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!

Ok, you knew someone had to say it. I'll go hide my head in shame for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
As a teen, we had a lab/hound mix that attacked an unopened bag of foil-wrapped chocolate bells (Christmas time).
We can home to the empty bag and small bit of foil on the floor. And to a rather full and lazy dog. (almost like he was saying Why oh why did I eat that stuff?
But he made it through fine.

JoJo got into a chocolate muffin left on the kids' table about a month ago. She made it through wanting more.
I think you're good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
AS a kid, my dad would share his brownie with the Pekingese we had. Never had any ill effect. It was once in a blue moon and the dog didn't get enough to be harmful. Come to think of it, my dad shared all his treats with that dog. Ice cream was 3 licks for dad, one for Spike, three more for dad, one for Spike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
BTW: White chocolate is okay to give dogs
My Vet told me & I researched it too. I have bought treats dipped in white chocolate for Coco.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
No worries. Jersey has gotten an M&M here and there over the years and no problems (not intentionally, but as you all know a Beagle is fast as a hawk when food falls on the floor!). I remember when I was little, we had a Doberman. It was someones birthday and we were all outside in the back yard. We left a chocolate cake on the kitchen counter and Thor ate the entire thing. He didn't leave one drop. We only knew he was the one who ate it because of the chocolate on the tips of his ears. He was fine. I loved that dog so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Winston stole a freshly baked double chocolate chip cookie right off the plate. No ill effects whatsoever except for a chocolaty *buuurp*.

We now put our fresh baked cookies up higher to cool.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top