Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is old news but...
It happened about six weeks ago. Sadie was fine at bed time, but in the morning she threw up her undigested supper from the night before. Then came the diarrhea. I was worried about a blockage. So I rushed her to the vet. While the doctor was feeling her tummy and telling me that she seemed ok, The tech came back in and said there was Coccidia (parasites) in her stool sample. The doctor was surprised and said that they usually build up a natural immunity when they're puppies.
She gave her a shot to settle her stomach and a series of pills to help her fight off the infestation. The shot didn't work. So I went back that afternoon and got some more pills that I had to cram down her poor little throat. (Much easier with the larger dogs I've had in the past.) They said I could try the pills, and see how she was in the morning, or bring her in right then, and they would start her on an IV. She wasn't getting dehidrated yet. So I decided she'd be more comfortable at home.
For a while, I couldn't even get her to lick an ice cube. Then things got better, and she was on a prescription canned diet for a week.

I Googled "Coccidiosis" and the first site on the list was a Beagle site. Is this common with Beagles?

I also found out that there are different species that infect different animals. So she probably didn't get it from my chickens.
(It's standard practice to start chicks on feed that is medicated against Coccidia.)
Maybe Sadie picked it up at daycare?
We only took her a few times and weren't really happy with it. So we quit taking her.

Anyone else have an experience with this nasty little bug?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My friend's dog had this when she got him. I don't think beagles get it any more often than any other breed except they do eat anything so maybe are more likely to be exposed. It took Buddy 3 rounds of treatment to be completely clear of the parasite. He still has stomach upsets occasionally. I have encouraged my friend to get him rechecked but don't think she has gone in yet.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Boy no experience here either on that problem. I am extremely jumpy about stomach problems in my dogs so I read you post with great interest. I watch what mine eat and "try" to get into like a hawk and am not always successful. :pukey: I am alway astonished at what people will let their dogs eat on walks. I imagine very sick dogs and large Vet bills. I am glad your little pup pulled through.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The second beagle I had got this infestation a few times ... she got it from eating cat poo .... if you can believe that! She would find that stuff in our yard, in mulch, etc. (because some people let their cats run free so they poop everywhere.) For some reason, this was like a magnet to her and she would find ways to get to it. It was so disgusting! But a few rounds of antibiotics usually did the trick and then you just have to be careful about what they are putting in their mouth! Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts