Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a slight problem with Charlie. Even with a last round of business in the yard at around 10pm, if he gets up in the middle of the night with the crate door open. He would have accident in the house. Couple of nights I closed the gate, daddy said maybe he needs more leg room?
Now he won't even go in the crate unless he gets very very sleepy. Then he does not like it when we touch the gate. And I mean showing teeth grrrrrr kind of mad.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Since he clearly is getting stressed you need to work with him on dominance. You can't accept him growling at you.

Will he pee on a wee wee pad if you lay one for him?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last night I gave him a treat while he was in the crate, as he chew I closed the gate. I just have to work around him.
The crate is his domain, even my contractor who's doing painting in my house knows. Once by accident he kicked the crate with Charlie napping in it. Charlie growled with his infamous loud voice. My contractor thought he was going to get it from Charlie.
Other than showing teeth in his own crate, he is fine. I let him do it because it is afterall, I'm intruding right?
Wee wee pad, never tried it, I worry that he might get the wrong impression that he can pee in the house. He is going to be 3 in January next year. Oh speaking of that I've been on BW for that long.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Rhoda, we don't have a problem with Spook having accidents in his crate but, like Charlie, he's very possessive of it. He doesn't want anyone getting too near when he's in it. We kind of figure it's because his crate is the only thing that's truly his.

Miss Priss does get in it from time to time. He doesn't like it, but she's the queen.
She's the only one that's allowed, and that's just because he doesn't know how to intimidate her.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I have no experience with crates. Quite honestly I cant imagine keeping ours in a crate when we are there.
Snoopy growls if a stranger goes near his couch but woudnt do any more than vocal noises.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Max sleeps in his crate all night with the door closed cause if not he tears up the house. he doesnt growl when anything happens to his kennel but he comes over to see what your doin. im sure the reason he doesnt growl is because we had some problems when we first adopted him so i had to show him who the dominate male in the house is so now he knows he comes 2nd to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally Posted By: Charlie momOther than showing teeth in his own crate, he is fine. I let him do it because it is afterall, I'm intruding right?
To be honest, no you're not intruding. It's your domain, you're master and you're letting him be there.

It sounds cold, but it's not. Dogs in general (and especially social pack dogs like beagles) work off a dominance hierarchy. I don't think it's okay for him to believe that it's acceptable to bare teeth at you...anywhere, ever.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Gooberlx, and welcome to BW!
I'll try giving him the no next time when it happens again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

My suggestion, and this goes for anyone who needs training advice, is to read Don't shoot the dog by Karen Pryor. It covers the concepts of operant conditioning and is the training bible for animals trainers in zoological institutions (especially marine).

<--- worked as a marine biologist for several years. I have personally used or seen the methods used, to great effect, on everything from fish and amphibians to dogs and cats to rays and sharks, to parrots, to tigers, dolphins and elephants, etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts