Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all! Maggie's liver biopsy results came back with no evidence of cancer -- HOORAY!! :bounce2:
Next steps ... internist is recommending ACTH test for Cushings and a full adrenal gland/hormone panel. Since Maggie's last ACTH test(a year ago) was normal but her adrenal glands and liver are now quite enlarged, he believes Maggie may fall into an "atypical Cushings" diagnosis. My vet is away until next week so we will reconvene then. We also have to work out a new at-home protocol for Maggie's attacks since the valium no longer is effective. My vet said he has never known a dog to have such severe reactions to pain so I guess Maggie is atypical!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm glad that cancer has been ruled out. Hopefully, the next tests will give you a handle on what Maggie needs. Bless both of you!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Maggie!!! I'm so happy to hear the good news. I was just wondering today how Maggie was doing. I was going to email you about her. The ACTH test is what we did with Amber (at least I'm pretty sure). Good luck with her tests. I really hope there is something that can be done about her anxiety!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Firstly, great news that no cancer is involved! Secondly, hope they can sort Maggie out soon. Poor girl has been through enough already. Good luck to you both, we are thinking of you.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yay for Maggie! :happyhappy: Excellent news about the biopsy. Here's hoping that you and the vet find a good course of treatment for the Cushing's and the anxiety. Poor little girl! She's so brave, and so are you, Judy!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Hi Judy,
I am so happy for you that Maggie doesn't show any signs of cancer. :happyhappy:
Miss Shiloh was diagnosed with Cushings about 2 years ago, and has been doing pretty well. She'll be on meds for the rest of her life, I guess, but at least this is a controllable disease. Do let us know the results of the ACTH test. If it turns out to be Cushings, either typical or atypical (which some dogs in my Cushings support group have been diagnosed with--I've never been real clear what the difference is) there is lots of info on the web to help you. Hope you won't need it, but I'm adding a link to one website that was a good "jumping off" spot for Cushings research. Especially for me--I'd never even heard of Cushings before Shiloh was diagnosed! Good luck to you and Maggie.

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:Originally posted by Gingergoose:
"Atypical" = Extra special!
Great equation -- of course, I think so! Because Cushings has been a consideration for a while, I have done some reading but had never come across the "atypical" type. I was a little put off by the internist's suggestion that a full adrenal/hormonal panel be run in addition to the ACTH -- part of me was thinking that he might be wanting to make some money. I apologize in absentia to him ... Maggie's profile does fit this type of Cushings and full hormonal testing is the only way to make a definitive diagnosis. Drugs chosen for treatment can vary depending on type of Cushings.
Also am wondering if cortisol deficiency from Cushings (which articles define as an "inability to mount normal response to stress") is connected to Maggie's extreme reactions to pain -- my list of topics to discuss with my vet is growing!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Soo very happy that Maggie is cancer-free :happyhappy:

I had a neighbor whose silky terrier had Cuchings. I don't know much about it but "Silky" did just fine and lived a good long life. Here's to you for being such a good mom! Maggie is a very lucky girl to have you. With all these worries you've been great. She'll be fine, just you wait and see!

Love to you both :heart:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts