Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Just wondering about this...Rocky has white nails, but Wednesday my son noticed that one of his nails was black and was concerned. I had a look, and sure enough it's fine, just changed coulour. I've never encountered this before...is it normal?

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's normal. Murphy's started all white, and now 4 are black, a couple are turning, and the rest are still white.

Just like those little pink paw pads will start turning black if they haven't already.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
As a breeder I can say that the newborn pups all have white nails. They are still white when we send them home (7-8 weeks). They are starting to thicken then though and probably start changing shortly after that. My 4 Beagles at home all have various colors on their nails. While I prefer the white ones so I can see how far to trim....I am not so lucky. Quite a few are black. I have even seen the striped ones but they are usually in the midst of changing to black unfortunately. So as you can tell by my post and all those before me...you have nothing to worry about. It's all perfectly normal in the life of a dog. (I don't believe this is breed specific-I think it happens in all breeds.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.