Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well, Eleanor, you are ahead of me...what is Cicada?

·
Registered
865 Posts
eeeewww...yuck!

I don't think I have seen any around here. Are they bad in some areas?

·
Registered
295 Posts
My dogs love cicadas! In fact most dogs do, and they are actually very nutritious. The fun part is watching them try to eat it while it's still buzzing around in their mouth

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Our area had cicadas last year. All the neighborhood pets LOVED crunching them.....and they ARE nutritious. (There are even recipes on the internet for humans who want to eat them....YUK!!)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here's a Google search on Cicadas for those who don't have them in their area. They're actually pretty fascinating....we had the 17 year cicadas recently.

Clicky:

cicada stuff

Clicky:

17 year cicadas

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: DaisyTheDevilDogMy dogs love cicadas! In fact most dogs do, and they are actually very nutritious. The fun part is watching them try to eat it while it's still buzzing around in their mouth
Fun part?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh yes, it's hysterical! Cicadas are pretty big - about 2 1/2 inches long and an inch wide. They beat their wings to attract mates, so they're loud and easy for dogs to find. Dogs will pick them up, but the wing beating must feel very weird, because they'll immediately spit them out, but then grab them up again. This goes on for a few minutes, and it's just funny to see that your dog REALLY wants to eat this thing, but it's messin' with their mouth. Finally the cicada gives up, and it's cicada sushi for the lucky dog

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
They are noisy things as I recall from my experience. I guess if I slept for 17 years I would wake up the neighborhood too.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I haven't heard them in years... (that I can remember) Growing up my cat use to catch them, I guess it was a fun toy...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts