Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
My beagle is about 11 years old and has been diagnosed with Canine Chronic Bronchitis - which presents as a persistent cough. So far, the usual treatment of steroids has proven largely unsuccessful.
It's likely mainly caused by an allergy to something. I've tried to eliminate as many sources as possible, but as a beagle with her nose constantly to the ground, the allergy may be something impossible to avoid like grass or dirt. And not allowing her to sniff would be no kind of life for a beagle.
I am working through options with my vet, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience of bronchitis in beagles and has anything that might be worth trying?

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
Oliver has a cough. It's allergies and a combination of his nasty old man teeth. His isn't constant though, it's more when he wakes up from a nap or when he does a ton of sniffing outside.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oliver has a cough. It's allergies and a combination of his nasty old man teeth. His isn't constant though, it's more when he wakes up from a nap or when he does a ton of sniffing outside.
Yes sounds similar, the main time for coughing is when waking up. The vet thinks the cough is somewhat self-perpatuating in that the coughing makes her throat a bit sore, which then makes her cough more again. We're on some cough supressant now as well, trying to get it to have a rest for a bit.

Has your vet ruled out a heart condition.? Coughs are sometimes due to cardiac insufficiency or other related issues.
Yes largely ruled out with the x-rays and bloodwork which confirm the bronchial damage and no heart enlargement, and there's no other signs to indicate major heart issues. She's otherwise healthy, and always hungry, just this cough that must be very irritating for her.

Also trying to give her a puffer now like humans have for asthma - it's not going too well so far! Hopefully she'll learn to tolerate it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Late to the convo but I can understand the difficulty of a puffer. Is it a small inhaler or nebulizer? A nebulizer might be more comfortable (if she'll sit still) and it won't just go to the back of a throat like a inhaler would do. After Ally McBeagle had pneumonia, we had to administer meds for several months and used a nebulizer. She got used to it but neve liked it and it was only for about 6 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts