Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning to put up our christmas tree soon and I am wondering what you do to keep your precious beagle from, um, 'ruining christmas' by getting into the tree and presents?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am putting my tree up in my office along with the presents. This is a NO NO Zone for the dogs. Otherwise Gabby would have that tree ripped to shreds within an hour!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
When Jersey was a puppy I put the tree up reluctantly. I didn't hang any ornaments too low. The bottom quarter of my tree was bare. I didn't put any gifts out until that night. It's only me and Mike so not really a big deal on that part. Now, Jersey couldn't care less about the tree. She feels the need to help Mom put the ornaments up and she checks it out the first day it's up but ignores it after that.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
We're seriously thinking about not putting a tree up this year. Maggie is still way too wild, and I know she won't leave it alone. Not only do I have a silk ficus tree that she recently destroyed, but will all the zoomies that she has during the day and evening, she'd be sure to knock it down.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We put an artificial tree on top of a table, that Susi and Snoopy cant reach. We also decorate a fir tree in the garden, with lights,making sure no electric wires are low down.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We also put a small artificial tree on a table in our house. It's only my boyfriend and me, too. Better to not risk the temptation! I just wonder what we're going to do if we ever do get a cat.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have four cats and Maggie and have had many other cats through the years. None have ever bothered my tree. The cats do like to get under and sleep. I wonder if its because the tree is artificial and there are no interesting smells.
The first year we had Maggie I was so worried. She was a terror and I was sure my ornament collection was doomed. I started out only decorating the top half of the tree. Later when she seemed to be ignoring the tree we started moving ormanments lower. Maggie did unwrap a couple of gifts last year. They were in bags and she was attracted by the tissue sticking up and then when she discovered stuff inside she thought it was really great. Someone put a package with cheese and sausage under the tree and Maggie wanted that one right away but I figured out what it was and moved it.
So far I feel pretty lucky. We will see what this year brings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i'm putting mine up this yr, but i have a feeeling tye will attack, no sorry play wiv it!! but its goin high so fingers crossed he wont bother with it ha ha ha ha!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Since it's just the two humans here, I put up my beagle Christmas tree and a ceramic tree. The family gifts, I keep in a closet until time to distribute.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have no idea if we're getting a tree this year. If finances permit, I know my dad wants one for my nephew; he adored the tree last year and was enchanted by it, but the cat knocked it over, spilling water on the presents-twice. Someone suggested a flexible, expandable baby gate system to put around it at a distance so she can't get at it, but we're still debating this.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We haven't had to worry about this in 7 years, but this year is different, we have a puppy, and CASIE is a one dog demolition machine. So the Tree is going up as high as we can get it. We'll hang ornaments a little higher, not put lights as low and maybe even put the tree on the piano if it will fit on the top. Trees can be very dangerous to pets, and I just hate hearing about fires and dogs eating glass, etc that happen during this time of the year. When the other boys were younger we hung it from the ceiling upside down from a ceiling hook and that was cool, but a lot of work....we'll try the piano first.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Yikes. I am thinking the same thing. Its Molly's first Christmas with us and she is VERY nosey and likes to steal things. She gets frightened easily of my husband, maybe I could have him put it up and then say NO!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Our tree was a disaster last year! Every day, Duke did something to it (and we were home when he did it). Though I made sure the ornaments weren't low, somehow he and Phoebe worked in tandem to get them off, then she would bat them against a wall and break them and Duke tried to eat it! Ack. He pulled the garland off the tree daily, made an absolute mess of the branches, and kept pulling the skirt off from the bottom. He also pulled down the snow blankets I had on end tables and cabinets and ended up breaking a few village pieces. I was way too afraid to put any presents under the tree. He was a one dog destruction team and I was helpless!

Then I tried one of those electric scat mats, ha! That was funny, took him all of 2 seconds to figure out a way around it. Finally, we ended up gating off the entire front room. No easy task since the opening is about 12', but we bought extra long baby gates that are somewhat stylish (not the mesh ones) and we put them up and they've stayed ever since. MUCH better! This year, I have no worries and can put snow and blankets and ornaments to my heart's desire!

Good luck, just keep searching for solutions and eventually they will drive you crazy enough to find the right one. LOL

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have two cats and one beag. The cats have never been a problem with the tree. One of them actually likes to sleep under it.

Last year was our first Christmas with Ben. I was really nervous about the tree. We get a real tree and I could just imagine him knocking it over or relieving himself on it. But we didn't have a single problem! If he got too close to the tree I would shake a pop can full of pennies at him. We call it the Naughty Can.

This year he will not be crated when we are not at home though. So I will have to be on high alert with the Naughty Can.

We didn't put any gifts under the tree ahead of time.

·
Registered
890 Posts
We have been very lucky that none of our dogs have showed much interest in the tree. We have a fake one so there is no smell. Last year Tucker tried to pull a few ornaments down but more to get our attention than anything else. He doesn't touch it if we aren't home. Ha has bad SA but has never been destructive about it (cross fingers).

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
its teddy's first xmas and we are concerned because this year will be our first real tree, we have a prelit one that we dont feel comfortable putting up because he might bite a light or something and get electricuted. The naughty can seems like a good idea, i might try that. We'll see ...he's pretty persistant though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Last year I was scared to put up a tree, so we put a small tree on a table since it is just the two of us and we weren't going to be here for Christmas. Greg's parents had one up and Blue was fine with it being there, but he had three other dogs to keep him entertained.

I have already put up my new tree this year, and I can actually say there was no howling or barking involved!! He did try to take a nibble on one of the branches last night and I am regretting that black velvet tree skirt already!! I did put ornaments on the entire tree and he hasn't touched a single one. We did our firm leave it the first night when he would go near it and that was the end of us saying anything. I think if your dog is crated, or supervised you will be fine. I don't know about the gifts though, that is still to be decided.

·
Registered
421 Posts
when i was 17, i brought home this tiny little puppy in the pocket of my army coat on christmas eve. she was lab/collie.
the next christmas, i came home after visiting friends one night and she knocked the tree down eating most of the lights, tinsel, some of the tree, and every single one of those metal caps that go on the glass christmas balls that hold the hook to the ball!!! there was alot of them, it was an 8 foot tree.
i was sooo worried, but we never saw another one again, and she never had a problem. in fact, she lived to be over 15 yrs. old!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts