Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I take Mizu out walking he pulls and pulls and pulls. I stop and tell him SIT! and he just continues to pull no matter what. He eventually chokes and I feel horrible. He does not listen to me. Also after his potty breaks he wont budge. I have to pull on the leash and he just stays. So every so often I pick him up and walk him in.
We were trying to walk and some guy was like "looks like your beagle is being very stubborn". I was like yea he is a beagle!
What should I do ?? I feel so bad about the choking thing!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel has a tracking harness that doesn't choke. I could pull him up from a mine shaft if he sniffed in! I have pulled him back from rattlesnakes, a badger, a Gila Monstor, and other less than friendly critters.

That will stop Mizu from choking, the only things that can stop pulling are obedience school, treats, or a longer lead /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
I agree, a harness. But, the longer lead? Nah, Smitty says it could be a mile long and Murphy would want it a mile and 2 more inches. :freak:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I used a gentle leader for a while and then someone here said that was bad for their necks so I switched to a harness and find it works well.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I agree, a harness is best for beagles. Sounds like puppy school is a must. One way to stop them pulling is to have a long lead attached to the harness but held in a loop. When the dog pulls drop the loop and turn round and start walking the other way. Mizu will look startled at first but gradually get the idea. When Mizu refuses to budge a tasty treat might work. Good luck.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I would definately get a harness...

I was having the same problem walking one of my girls. It got to the point I couldn't deal with walking her. Every two steps she was choking and pulling inbetween. Now she doesn't pull and no more choking.

Good luck!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by KSycamore:
I agree, a harness. But, the longer lead? Nah, Smitty says it could be a mile long and Murphy would want it a mile and 2 more inches. :freak:
I agree, the best smells are at least two inches beyond the end of the extended lead.

The Bagel's fun lead was 35 foot (he's caught it on sharp rocks and I've had to knot in a three places so it is about 33 foot now), and if I follow (walk in the direction his sniffer takes him) he doesn't get to the end. Now if I want to go in a different direction, one has to trick the sniffer /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif OK, I have miles of desert, no sidewalks or people to distract, and no particular place to go when following the Bagel. I also can "trick him" into sniffing in the general direction (Back toward the van) by calling him to a bush or squirrel hole and when he investigates, getting behind him. He believes in sniffing he should lead and I should follow so if I trick him by getting pointed in the desired direction and if I continue staying behind him i can kinda herd him. :lol2: When I'm ready to go back, I call him, and when he comes, I stride off in the direction I want to go and he follows along still sniffing but unable to get in the lead because of interesting scents along the way. By then we're both ready for a drink of water and some quality time in the van or around the camp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A harness definitely works best on our beagle, Flash. Except he doesn't like the feel of it much and has been known to run out the dog door when he sees it coming towards him. Once it's on, though, he doesn't seem to be in discomfort and is his usual self on walks. I think he just knows that we're more in control when he's got the harness on and, being a beagle, he doesn't think that control should be exerted by anyone but him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
One way to stop them pulling is to have a long lead attached to the harness but held in a loop. When the dog pulls drop the loop and turn round and start walking the other way.
Jenny: What is described by "A Doghouse" is the training method used by Brother Christopher, one of the Monks of New Skete. There is a relatively new television show about their dog training methods on Animal Planet. It airs Mondays nights at 8:00 PM EST and is called "Divine Canine". There are also a couple of great books out about their training. The Monks raise German Shepherds and then opened up their monastery to accept dogs for training. The Monks believe in gentle, kind training and it is amazingly effective -- the TV show is really good.
After having my arm jerked out of my shoulder one too many times, I switched to using a harness with Maggie. That helped enormously with my pain but didn't do too much with regard to getting her to focus on walking, not smelling. Soft, upward jerks of the harness get her back on track. I usually start out with a short "sniff", then a brisk walk and end with another sniffing period.
Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was actually having this problem too, and I recently bought a harness for Fin. It did the trick! He no longer pulls and is very well behaved on walks now. I would suggest a harness, it's done wonders for me and Fin.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your advice everyone. I went out and bought a harness for Mizu. He looks like he's part of the S.W.A.T team with it on /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif .

jenny_

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We had the same problem with Jersey. A harness did the trick. Jersey would pull on her leash so hard that she actually damaged her throat. Our trainer hated it when we used it, but it helped so much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks for making this thread! haha. i have that problem with sadie, but only when she sees another dog she realllyyy likes, she will not stop pulling for the life of her! it was concerning me. i had forgotten all about harnesses. i will get one though. that seems like a splendid idea.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
My vote is for a harness too.

Our puppy kindergarden teacher taught us to walk ours with chain colars that get tight when they pull. Pooh Bear did pretty good on these. Sadie (the wild child) never did well on a chain collar. She would pull and pull and choke and cough, but never gave it up. Harnesses are best. They are also better for their backs and necks. Harnesses put less pressure on their necks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts