Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I need some advice on choker collars....if you read my post before...Dexter goes crazy on walks when he sees other dogs pulling, barking, howling and screaming (almost dislocated my shoulder) and when we do try to pull him away he gets aggresive towards us...some people have told us the some dogs are a little more aggresive when they are on leash but we have already tried the following with no luck:

1) Giving him food like hot dog which he doesn't even care about when he sees other dogs (usually he is a typical beagle and will eat it in a heartbeat)..but when he sees another dog on walk..thats it..
2) spraying him with water...it doesn't bother him at all :greendevil:
3) We use the gentle lead no harness, but he pulls so much that its cutting through his skin and i feel like i am not teaching him not to bark, just pulling him back...which is not objective..

So, the question is - have you guys used choker collars on your beagles and has that been a good experince..i am not talking the prong ones, but the simple chain ones.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

We have also started to take him to a day care once a week where he plays with other dogs...really well i might add..but on a leash for a walk is a nightmare... :rolleyes:

any thoughts or suggestions are welcome...

Thanks
Toke

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I use choke collar with Chloe sometimes, when I work with her on some commands such as heel. She reacts to it just fine, but I keep watching that it won't stay tight so she won't choke herself. She actually starting listening when I say (no pull) even without the choke collar (fun for me :happyhappy: ).
I think that you should work with him on heel, and no pull, with yummy treats, it works. First start at home (back yard or where there are no distractions) and then start exposing him to noises, people and dogs.
It may also be a dominance issue....
Good-Luck.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
We had a trainer come into our home last year because one of our many issues was that Caesar pulled on the lead. She put a choke collar on him and I almost cried at the horrified look on his face when she pulled his leash. I don't like them, but that's my personal view.

A friend of mine is having a similar problem to yours. Her dog is always pulling, barking and just going crazy on the leash. She said that they're going to try Umbilical Training. I'm not exactly sure what it is but you can Google it. How old is your dog? Caesar grew out of the constant pulling. He is now one and a half years old.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dexter is a year and half old...he is great in the house with heel (he has actually been through obeidience as well as intermediate training) and does great with heel and everything at home...its only on walks that he is like a whole different dog...

He is such a good and a sweet dog that its almost impossible to believe that he can react this way outside the house...inside the house he is simply perfect ( i might have jinxed him now!)

I read that the choker collar has to be put in the right way to make sure that it only gives them one pull and does not stay there choked (it should form a P when put on a dog and not a 9)...my concern is that Dex probably won't care about the collar and will continue to pull and bark through getting choked.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We use a harness on ours. They used to pull terribly but now walk well. We havent cured them of their barking at other dogs, but have got used to it!!! Ours are ex research beagles, so we think a lot is fear. When a beagle came to visit, they were as good as gold with her in the garden.
One trick, if a dog is pulling is to use a long lead, looped, when the dog pulls let the lead extend to full length, but turn around and start walking back the way you have come from. You will se a surprised look on the dogs face. After a while he'll get the message.
I dont like choker collars on small dogs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've also switched to the harnass as opposed to the colar to save Beasley's neck...but the pulling is getting quite difficult. The biggest problem is that there is a couple who walks through our complex every morning dropping bread pieces for the ducks...Of course Beasley just think's it's her breakfast and is pulling every direction.

As much as I didn't want to use one, I'm thinking about the choke collar myself...I actually got good results with a choke collar on my previous beagle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dexter is nuetered but his dad was a field beagle...he is not a rescue or anything and we have had him since he was 8 weeks old...so i am not sure why he acts that way...

I have read that the neck is the second strongest bone in a dogs body after his jaw...so usually a choker collar if used the right way does not do any harm to them...it simply supposed to give them a quick reminder and get back to being a regular collar...

The question really is - does it work on beagles?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I would have to say that with your specific problem, which sounds quite severe, that the answer is NO unless you get the help of an experienced dog behavorist.

Check chains (as we prefer to call them in the UK) can work quite well in training a dog to walk to heel and to focus on their owner. But you really need to be trained in the correct way to use them by a professional otherwise you could end up doing more harm than good.

I think that you really need to get to the bottom of the reasons why Dexter behaves the way he does. Is it through fear, aggression, dominance, anxiety or what?

You say that you have tried the gentle leader but that it cuts through his skin...is it the correct size and fits him well because he shouldn't be able to pull this hard if it fits well.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
We have private lesson in our home too, and he is using choke chain. He explained that since the spikes are not sharp at all, and they are safe to use. Have you seen dogs trying to dominant the other dogs by grabing their neck and sink their teeth down, but you hear no complain from them. The skin on most dogs around the neck is tougher, that's where vet give their shots too. And also mommy dogs carry pups around by the neck. Beagles will gag to show their resistant. Charlie would even cry so loud with a simple touch of the trainer's hand.
RSPA uses choke chain to train too, Marlin, my other dog at the Rainbow bridge was trained with that. I'll give it a try, yes, it is hard to watch I admit. But Charlie seems to be complying with a fit though.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think the collar you are describing Charlies mom is not a choke collar but a prong collar since you mention "spikes". This is a totally different type of collar and not one I'd ever use on my dogs. They do cause pain and work in a totally different way to the "checking" action of the choke/check chain.

The check chain is painless if used correctly but sadly most people don't use them correctly. The idea of them is not to choke your dog but to use them as a training aid and NOT for everyday walking.

Personaly I think both types of collar should be banned from being sold to members of the public, but that's just my view.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Ah, now that I look at the shopping list, it is call pinch safety collar. Yes,it is only for training use, not for walking use. You do not leave it one all the time, only during training period. Just to get his attention. Never use a choke collar and I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The only thing that works with Snoopy is the "Halti" which I think is the same as a gentle leader. He used to pull terribly but as soon as that was on he just went to walking totally with a loose lead. I know people say they can damage their necks...but he doesn't pull with it so I don't think it's doing him any harm.
I used to use one on my cattle dog too as he used to bark/lounge etc..at other dogs ...the Halti worked a treat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
In Australia (not sure about america, I gather because premier sells them?) we have a collar called a "martingale" (or training) collar. It's the same concept as a choke chain, but it's material and way less harmful to your beagle. It's a normal collar, with an extension on the back that allows you to tighten the collar and "correct" the dogs behaviour and release once he is correctly doing this behaviour (ie: not pulling on a lead). The collar is placed further up the neck towards the back of the ears as this area apparently gives more control. The collar should be snug, but not tight. It would be able to be tightened when pulled on with the lead on the black part. The two clips should stay about an inch apart when pulled tight to correct.

They are great and a lot of our obedience schools over here prefer them over the original choke chain as it can cause damage to a dogs neck/throat if not used correctly.

Maybe try one of these as a better alternative to a chain. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

(... Erin)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The martingale works the same as a half check chain except the half check chain is made of all chain not material but it's design is the same.

At least with these types of collars it doesn't matter which way you put it on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts