Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started using a choke chain with bruno as he is incredibly smart and stubborn. I know you should do 15 minute training sessions or so but he walks so much better with it on. Is it ok to take 30 min walks with it along with sort training sessions on changing directions etc? Or should I use his regular collar for longer walks?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've used the gentle leader and like it, but looking at the Martingale..it looks neat also. Definitely try something that is easier on the dog than a standard choke chain. I've heard of dogs having their necks injured from the choke chains.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yep, we use the gentle leader. But on runs, she starts getting slightly foamy at the mouth and I feel bad for her. If she's not wearing it, forget it. We need to get her to a training class. I think that might be the best all around.
It also seems to induce the backward sneezing.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If she is working well on it there is no reason why you can't walk her for longer.

The only reason I prefer martingales over check chains is because you can adjust them to sit firmly and high on the dogs neck (behind it's ears) where a training collar should sit. This makes them more effective than check chains as they do tend to slide down the dog's neck a lot.

I'm not a fan of gentle leaders for a range of reasons, but largely I worry about the neck/spine damage that can occur when a dog wears one.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The rescue gave us a Martingale collar when we got Gino and it seems to be ok. He is used to it anyway. I use regular harnesses for long walks with my other two b/c I feel more secure with them and they seem to be ok with them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts