Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Christmas Eve I packed my kids stockings. In them I put a Lindt Chocolate Reindeer in each. Well my husband was asleep on the couch and both the girls were sleeping with him. I didn't think anything of it.
The next morning my kids woke and found the deer headless. The bodies weren't touched. So they asked me why I gave them broken chocolate? So I told them they were intact when they were put in the stocking. I asked were the stockings tipped over and everything out of them and no they were in the same position as when I left them there. See I put the choclate towards the top. So I think she carefully bit into them and ate what she could and went on to the next...
We watched both beagles (we ruled out **** and the cats) and both had no ill effects. But our culprite we 99.9% sure if Maggie. She is food driven and can be very neat about things.

We did watch her also try to get into a bag of cookies my son brought home from work one day. She went up on the back legs and her front legs didn't touch anything. She just couldn't figure out how to get it out of the bag????????????? HMMMM!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,667 Posts
LOL! Daisy does that. She'll go up on her back legs and ever so gently use her teeth to get at what she wants.

I'm glad she's ok though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Chocolate is dangerous, but it takes alot as I understand it. Summer and Murphy devoured a 1/2 pound of Hershey's baking chocolate (very dangerous to dogs). Luckily there was no permanent damage from it. Just alot of chocolate smelling poo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I'm glad to hear she is okay.

My vet was telling me he had someone bring in their Beagle who ate a pound of chocolate plus the tin foil. They made the dog throw up so he was okay.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
I read the other day that for milk chocolate, it takes 1 ounce per pound of the dog's body weight to be harmful.
So, a 30 lb. beagle would need to eat 30 ounces of milk chocolate. That's a lot of milk chocolate!


The darker chocolate is more dangerous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
This is why I love Beagle World! Shasta just got into my husbands semi unpacked suitcase which had two small brownies and two very small pieces of chocolate, and what else ate them! I was able to do a search of topics to see if I needed to really panic for only semi panic. My mind has been put at ease after checking out the above topic. Thank you fellow Beagle Worlders!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
This reminds me of when Gunnar was about 4 and I was babysitting my younger cousins. They were selling Worlds Finest Candy bars at the time and I had somewhere to go that day, well we left and left the box of chocolates on the table not even thinking and when we got back there were no wrappers no chocolate nothing just an empty box....I of course owed them about $20 for candy bars I didn't even get to eat
needless to say Gunar was just fine and the family still talks about to this day.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Shasta! So mischievous, you worried your mom.

When I was growing up we had a doberman pincher named Thor. He was such an awesome dog and I was devastated when he died. Anyway, one birthday we were out in the back yard having a cookout. There was a chocolate cake inside on the counter. Thor went back in and got the cake. We never saw him eat it but the entire box was empty. The only way we knew it was him was because of the chocolate icing on the tips of his ears.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
if your really worried a tablspoon or two or hydrogen peroxide will have her puking it all up....they say most dogs wont drink it instinctivly but i had a scare once and my dog drank it right away, puked up and got everything out. I'd check online for the exact amount recommended for dogs but i remember it was a table spoon or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
I remember being at the vet's office one day and I overheard the nurse/receptionist trying to calm down a dog owner whose dog ate a whole package of Grasshoppers (I found out afterwards it is a chocolate covered cookie-type snack). I couldn't help but chuckle because I could just picture Roscoe getting into something like that! I keep all the doggy no-no's up high so I don't have to worry as much.
Although on Thanksgiving, with a crowded house, it was hard to keep everything out of doggy reach, he did get a hold of an entire jumbo shrimp wrapped with proscutto and arugala! He loved it so much we had to get the platter out of sight
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Summer and Murphy got into a bag of Tollhouse morsels (dark chocolate). Between them, they ate about half a pound. We were scared. The vets office had us induce vomiting and watch them. All came out fine... even their poo had a nice choclate smell (eww!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
At our supermarket you can buy doggy chocolate which I have always assumed is alright seeing is it is doggy chocolate . I used it as reward treats when our beagles were pups. It taught them to toilet train real quick. I still give it to Bazel on occasion. He loves it . Me bad.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: Beagle EyesAt our supermarket you can buy doggy chocolate which I have always assumed is alright seeing is it is doggy chocolate . I used it as reward treats when our beagles were pups. It taught them to toilet train real quick. I still give it to Bazel on occasion. He loves it . Me bad.
its not real chocolate, its yogurt, colored to look like chocolate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sephly
Originally Posted By: Beagle EyesAt our supermarket you can buy doggy chocolate which I have always assumed is alright seeing is it is doggy chocolate . I used it as reward treats when our beagles were pups. It taught them to toilet train real quick. I still give it to Bazel on occasion. He loves it . Me bad.
its not real chocolate, its yogurt, colored to look like chocolate.
I think our must be different than yours. I don't have any at the moment but I am not sure it has yogurt in it ?? It looks just like chocolate .It is in the pet section and is called Dog Chocolate Treats .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: Beagle Eyes
Originally Posted By: Sephly
Originally Posted By: Beagle EyesAt our supermarket you can buy doggy chocolate which I have always assumed is alright seeing is it is doggy chocolate . I used it as reward treats when our beagles were pups. It taught them to toilet train real quick. I still give it to Bazel on occasion. He loves it . Me bad.
its not real chocolate, its yogurt, colored to look like chocolate.
I think our must be different than yours. I don't have any at the moment but I am not sure it has yogurt in it ?? It looks just like chocolate .It is in the pet section and is called Dog Chocolate Treats .

I stand corrected
http://www.lekkerbarkery.com/zbxe/375

Made from a bean, but its still not real chocolate. most doggy chocolates are either artificially flavored to taste/smell like chocolate, or their yogurt colored with an added fragrant to make it seem like chocolate.
Or made from the carob beans. Pet companies dont make treats with real chocolate, because its so dangerous. I mean whats to stop a dog from getting into a large box and making itself sick,etc. altho the risk is minimal its still there and to avoid being sued...they just sell fake chocolate. I tried looking up the brand you named with no luck other then general doggy chocolates from different brands most of which were yogurt based. It would def. be intresting if the kind in those treats really is made from real chocolate, i'll have to do more research. For the most part my dog ignores chocolate and goes for bubble gum...he's weird like that. oh and cough drops are his other fav. he'll get into jeans and steal entire packets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Caesar got into a Costco-sized bag of Chip-Its. He ate about 4lbs of it. He was vomiting and shaking so we rushed him to the vet. He spent the afternoon there for observations and was fine. It scared the crap out of us.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top