Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was debating with myself whether or not to post this (didn't want you guys to think I'm a bad mommy)....
2 nights ago I was with Chloe at the dog park. We were playing with a couple of other dogs with a tennis ball... aparantly chloe likes playing fetch... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Anyway, I was (stupid me) throwing the ball to far, and was too close to the fence (bars around the park)... and the ball went through the bars /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I turned to stone!!!! I couldn't move while watching her go through the bars (she is too skinny my little one). Lucky for me (and Chloe)... Chloe caught the ball just before it rolled into the road and then she stopped.
One of the guys that has another beagle (sweet Abby) had lost a beagle to a car accident about a year ago... and he was just living it all over again.... poor guy. He was running after Chloe and handed her over to me, as I still was in shock!!!!!
I should be more careful with where I throw the ball next time.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
PHEW! Sounds like quite a scare you had! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Maybe you could write a letter to the dog park asking that they put something like chicken wire to prevent things like that from happening for the benefit of the smaller dogs.

·
Registered
667 Posts
First off, thank God she is ok. You were doing the right thing, who knew she would go through those bars, she was determined hu?

Second, do not feel like a bad mommy, please, im sure a scare or two has happended to us all

..or in my case, ummm, like over a handful.

I cannot tell you how many times Snoopy has ran off after we thought was in a secure dog park in Chicago, a park surrounded by water except on one side, the only way in or out...except to a beagle...rabbits live in the huge rocks surrounding the park and river, and oh yeah, he jumped on them and ran...swear I thought he was going to die, I about had a heart attack...and this was at least 3 times this happened....then, other times he is so scared of people that come close that he would just pull back out of his harness, and escape....

I would have died if anything happened to him during those times...weird thing, Snoopy is SO SO scared of people, but pays no attention to cars, several times he ran into the road and one time someone slammed the breaks just not to hit him, another time, I was able to run in front of the car....I didnt care if I was hit, as long as he was ok.

Now, Im way over sensitive to where I let him off leash...there is a doggie beach where I live, but it is not gated, but has huge rocks all around...I will not take him there alone unless ron is with me, so he hasnt been there yet, but I will not take the chance alone..b/c next to the beach is a very busy road.

Please dont think your a bad mommy, I posted everytime this happened and only got support..we all understand how hard it is wanting to let your beagle run free, but try to keep them safe at the same time, and it seems as if you did you best!

Amanda and Snoops

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't beat yourself up Eleanor! You had no idea that Chloe would get through the fence like that. I had Jersey at my aunt's house one day when she was a puppy. There is a big courtyard out front with a 3 foot wall surrounding it with a gate to close it off. It was Amber's playground. Well, Mike and I were out hanging the Christmas lights and left Jersey in the courtyard. We thought she would be safe. She was only a few months old and we didn't see how she could get over the wall. Somehow, she managed to scale the wall and get out! I freaked out. There are woods behind the house and all I could think of was that she was going to get lost in them. Luckily she didn't get that far before we caught her. Funny thing is that she's over there once or twice a week now and never tries to get over the wall anymore. Go figure.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank goodness Chloe is safe! Will just chime in with others that you had no way of knowing how determined she would be. Each time this happens with one of us, we all learn more about our beloved breed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts